Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Hyundai Sonata V6 GLS. When driving, I hear a constant hum. It gets louder with speed. When I turn right, the noise stops completely. I think it gets worse when I turn left, it's hard to tell. And when I stop, I smell burnt rubber. I jacked the car up and checked for play in both front wheels to see if it were wheel bearings, and there wasn't any. I took it to Monroe Muffler and Tires and they couldn't see anything wrong. I also recently had them check all my wheel bearings from previous road noise (only the rear left was bad and I changed it myself.) I noticed this new noise Immediately after the change, but probably because it was so loud before. If you have any suggestions, please let me know how to tell if it is a bad part if possible. Thank much.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Bum whel bearing at front.. the side that get loud with weight on wheel needs replaced..

Find an empty road, and turn so as to load 1 front wheel and make noise, then turn the other way and see if quiet..You'll get feel for turning and making noise.. replace the side with noise.

Before you press the bearing into the knuckle, pull the races apart slightly, and shove a bunch of quality bearing grase into the bearing through the groove between the 2 races... you be surprised how much lube you can pack in there (they dont have real lube spec'd when baering packed from vendor)... I prefer Mobil-1 Synthetic Grease, bearing will last a whole lot longer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I think I might just take the knuckle off and have a shop put the new bearing in. I'll post back when I get some work done so others know whats up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the bearing. Had to take it to the shop twice. They said it wasn't bad the first time. The second time, they had to get it up to 70mph before they heard it. Replaced and now the car sounds fine.

PS- I was going to just take the knuckle off and have someone else press the bearing for about $30, but didn't have the time. This would've saved me a bunch of money. I paid $314.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts