Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone comment on the road noise difference between an early build sonata (pre-3m sound absorber in doors) to one after?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Far less noise.

Can anyone comment on the road noise difference between an early build sonata (pre-3m sound absorber in doors) to one after?
I had a limited 2011 traded for a 2013 limited there is much less road noise. I think the problem was the tires, different brand on the 2013.;

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a limited 2011 traded for a 2013 limited there is much less road noise. I think the problem was the tires, different brand on the 2013.;
Nice! I plan a lot of door insulation including mlv, to (hopefully) make it even quieter than the 2013 ;)

As for the tires, they do make a difference but not that much. I switch from hankook h431 to the highest rated grand touring all season, the Pirelli p7 plus. Road noise is a bit lower, but most of it changed to a higher pitch rather than going away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Does the tires also feel more grippy?
A lot more grip with the p7s, wet handling feels almost as good as dry. Additionlly, the ride is a bit smoother (not drastic) and the snow performance is great for an all season. Recently had about 10-15cm of snow on the roads before the plows went out and there was no slippage (if you drive like a normal person), i felt a lot more confident than other drivers with winters.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
The Sled is a May, 2010 build car so I think I can chime in.

Yes the Hankook tires are absolutely the problem. Sorry in all aspects of performance, including road noise. Once I swapped them for Continental DWS they made the car ride better and quieter.

Now I have Michelin Primacy MXM4 and they ride is even better. Tomb quiet like Mama's Terrain and very smooth over the road. However grip is about 8/10 of the DWS but I try not to drive on the edge like I did with those.

I will admit the 2011's seem to have less insulation in the doors (noticeable when shutting the front doors of a 2011 vs a 2012-14). This unfortunately cannot be remedied as easily as the tires and I have just learned to deal with it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Adogg, lemme ask you out of the 2 sets which do you prefer? I live in nyc and drive very rarely and when I do its typically average trip of about 100-140 miles. And I'm looking to swap out tires next year very early.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm still using the hankook h727 optimos on my 2013 turbo. It's "pretty" quiet for low rolling resistance tires and OEM tires at that. I'll be replacing it with the MXM4s.

I had the MXM4s on my mazda 3 and it was incredible. The comfort is way up there in the scale and it has made the ride noticeably more quiet. I can't even hear the tires rolling most of the time. The Sonata has better noise insulation then the mazda 3, so I'm sure the MXM4s won't make noise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Sled is a May, 2010 build car so I think I can chime in.

Yes the Hankook tires are absolutely the problem. Sorry in all aspects of performance, including road noise. Once I swapped them for Continental DWS they made the car ride better and quieter.

Now I have Michelin Primacy MXM4 and they ride is even better. Tomb quiet like Mama's Terrain and very smooth over the road. However grip is about 8/10 of the DWS but I try not to drive on the edge like I did with those.

I will admit the 2011's seem to have less insulation in the doors (noticeable when shutting the front doors of a 2011 vs a 2012-14). This unfortunately cannot be remedied as easily as the tires and I have just learned to deal with it.
"Tomb quiet" is a bit of a hyperbole. If you've ridden in a lexus LS, the sonata will sound like a WW1 tank inside. However, to each his own, as long as it sound good to you, that's all that matters. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Adogg, lemme ask you out of the 2 sets which do you prefer? I live in nyc and drive very rarely and when I do its typically average trip of about 100-140 miles. And I'm looking to swap out tires next year very early.
same here... I am from NYC but I drive everyday between Manhattan and Long Island. I have a 2013 GLS and the stock tires make A LOT OF NOISE. Its noticeable when I dont have music on... wish to find better tires

·
Registered
920 Posts
same here... I am from NYC but I drive everyday between Manhattan and Long Island. I have a 2013 GLS and the stock tires make A LOT OF NOISE. Its noticeable when I dont have music on... wish to find better tires
Same here. And recently I don't feel confident in the stock tires. I don't drive as much and am in Brooklyn. But on trips I hear a lot or noise so the radio is on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same here. And recently I don't feel confident in the stock tires. I don't drive as much and am in Brooklyn. But on trips I hear a lot or noise so the radio is on.

Oh man, whenever I am on the LIE, I have to have the radio on... can't stand the noise :( it sucks when u are on your bluetooth having a conversation as well. Hopefully someone in here can help us find the right set of tires to reduce the noise ;o

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh man, whenever I am on the LIE, I have to have the radio on... can't stand the noise :( it sucks when u are on your bluetooth having a conversation as well. Hopefully someone in here can help us find the right set of tires to reduce the noise ;o
I'd say the tire change will drop account 10-15% of the road noise max. The cars have VERY LITTLE insulation. Rear wheel wells are only covered by a Tar strip that cover 25%. Nothing absorbs/blocks the noise. I'd look to insulate the car rather than changing to high-rated tires which could cost up to 850$ in the US, and 1250+ in Canada.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
Turbo---to answer your question the Michelins are the best of the 3 sets that I have had in regards to road noise. The Conti's were not that much louder, but there is a difference. Also, when the Conti's began to go bald (and I posted on another topic about this) they got REALLY LOUD!!! Not sure how the MXM4s will be at the time but having had experience with Michelin before, but I think I wont have to yell at Mama to carry on a convo like with the DWS.

Now as for the drop in noise due to tires---yes it won't make the car silent. For me, the Sled is "tomb quiet" as I came from a Ford Fusion. Prior that a Chevy HHR (quietest car I have ever owned) and before that a Mazda Protege5. None of the cars barring the Chevy had much sound deadening and they were much louder even with better tires. That's the price I pay for wanting the 18" wheels and having an early build YF.

The key here is how quiet to you want your car to ride. Remember all, these are 25K grocery getters, not 40K BMW/Mercedes/Audi. Unless someone is going to Dynamat the h**l out of a YF, prepare for some intrusive road noise.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Turbo---to answer your question the Michelins are the best of the 3 sets that I have had in regards to road noise. The Conti's were not that much louder, but there is a difference. Also, when the Conti's began to go bald (and I posted on another topic about this) they got REALLY LOUD!!! Not sure how the MXM4s will be at the time but having had experience with Michelin before, but I think I wont have to yell at Mama to carry on a convo like with the DWS.

Now as for the drop in noise due to tires---yes it won't make the car silent. For me, the Sled is "tomb quiet" as I came from a Ford Fusion. Prior that a Chevy HHR (quietest car I have ever owned) and before that a Mazda Protege5. None of the cars barring the Chevy had much sound deadening and they were much louder even with better tires. That's the price I pay for wanting the 18" wheels and having an early build YF.

The key here is how quiet to you want your car to ride. Remember all, these are 25K grocery getters, not 40K BMW/Mercedes/Audi. Unless someone is going to Dynamat the h**l out of a YF, prepare for some intrusive road noise.
Thanks for the info. As far Sound, of course won't be as quiet as say a 40k car but at least anything is better than nothing. I'm looking for tires that make less even if slightly less road noise and have good grip on the road for driving. :) :thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts