Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking and following other's experience with the DCTs in the Tucson since this generation came out in 2016. I test drove a 2016 and didn't notice the 'hesitation' then, but perhaps I was lucky. It could also be my driving style since I currently drive a 5-speed manual and the DCT is essentially an automated manual.

I'm starting to have transmission issues in my current 15-year old car and will likely go with a Tucson since I like the overall feature-set and value for money. I generally prefer the 2018 to the 2019 based on pictures I've seen (I don't care for the 2019's revised front, nor the 'iPad stuck on the dash' look of the 2019 info-tainment system), as well as the 2018's better gas mileage from the 1.6/DCT. On the flip side there are other standard features on the 2019 that are an advantage.

I haven't seen a lot of comments from 2018 owners regarding the hesitation issue. I also wonder if there's really any meaningful difference between the 2017s and 2018s as far as the DCT itself and software programming. Most reviews give the Tucson very good in most scoring categories, except for the powertrain/

I realize Hyundai has a 10-year powertrain warranty, but I'm wondering if I'd be taking a long-term risk if I pull the trigger on a 2018, whereas a 2019 might be a 'safer bet' with the older-style 2.4/6-speed tranny.

Perspective / thoughts?

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,238 Posts
I've been lurking and following other's experience with the DCTs in the Tucson since this generation came out in 2016. I test drove a 2016 and didn't notice the 'hesitation' then, but perhaps I was lucky. It could also be my driving style since I currently drive a 5-speed manual and the DCT is essentially an automated manual.

I'm starting to have transmission issues in my current 15-year old car and will likely go with a Tucson since I like the overall feature-set and value for money. I generally prefer the 2018 to the 2019 based on pictures I've seen (I don't care for the 2019's revised front, nor the 'iPad stuck on the dash' look of the 2019 info-tainment system), as well as the 2018's better gas mileage from the 1.6/DCT. On the flip side there are other standard features on the 2019 that are an advantage.

I haven't seen a lot of comments from 2018 owners regarding the hesitation issue. I also wonder if there's really any meaningful difference between the 2017s and 2018s as far as the DCT itself and software programming. Most reviews give the Tucson very good in most scoring categories, except for the powertrain/

I realize Hyundai has a 10-year powertrain warranty, but I'm wondering if I'd be taking a long-term risk if I pull the trigger on a 2018, whereas a 2019 might be a 'safer bet' with the older-style 2.4/6-speed tranny.

Perspective / thoughts?

I've had two with no problems. I wouldn't worry. Just don't use it to hill hold. That is what brakes are for.

This will also yield superior fuel economy as well as power.

I got a total of $4,750 in rebates on mine. Easy choice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts