Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of rims and tires from my mom's 05' ford 500. If i measured correctly they are 20 inch rims, but they really don't look that big.

I was under the impression that all 5 hole patterns are universal or most of them anyway.

My question is there anyway i can be sure they fit safely. Im not sure how all the measurements go, im kind of new to this whole rim and tire thing

·
Registered
932 Posts
Nope, all 5 hole patterns are not the same. Start googling bolt patterns.

·
Registered
550 Posts
It just so happens that the Sonata and Ford 500 share the same 5X114mm bolt pattern. So the bolts/holes will align, but that doesn't mean to the rim will fit correctly. You should confirm the rim's center hub measurement and the rim's offset. If the rim's center hole is larger than the Sonata's center hub, you can still make the rim work by purchasing centerhub rings. (Contact Tirerack). But, if the rim's center hole is smaller than the Sonata's center hub, it may not fit over the hub and therefore not really fit at all. Good luck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Im probably going to take a tire over to Pep Boys after work n ask them if it will fit. If they do that will save me a lot of money! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
550 Posts
You wrote "tire." Do you intend the put the 20 inch rim and the current tire on your 2011 Sonata. That may complicate things. Your Sonata comes stock with a 17 inch rim and 215/55-17 tires. The Ford comes stock with a 17 inch rim and 215-60-17 tires. The tires on the Ford are bigger. And by bigger, I don't mean wider, I mean taller. They have a larger diameter. The next question is what tires are currently on your 20 inch rims? Do you know? The wheel/tire combo MAY be too big for the Sonata and potentially rub. Definitely get a tire expert to help.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea i completely over looked the tire aspect of it =X. The rim and tire combo looks like it isnt even an inch away from the wheel well when i rolled a tire up next to my sontata. The tires didnt come stock on the ford. The owner of the dealership put them on and they sold it to us when we got it. But when we traded the car in we put the stock tires and "forgot" to give the aftermarket set back. But yea they are more than likely way to tall.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I say sell the tire / rim on ebay or something and use the money to buy new rims and tires if your interested in upgrading. The Sonata will take 20" rims but your not going to like the ride at all. I say 18" is probably the biggest you should go for rims unless you don't care about how the car rides. As you can see there are a lot of people including media complaining about the ride on the SE which has 18" stock, then again the SE has stiffer suspension. But for sure once you head in the 19 or 20" size your going to feel every little bump as there isn't much tire on their to cussion things. I went to 18" which should be in any day now and already plotted out a couple roads from smooth to rough to see what difference it will make on a limited.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea the wheels have been in my garage for a while now and they were pretty dirty, so as i was washing them i found that my mom must have scraped a curb=x. Ill see if i can maybe get the scuff marks out a little bit before i sell them. I was thinking of selling them for $900-$1000 on craigs list. I mean they are 20 inch chrome rims so they have to be some what expensive.

When your 18s come in tell me how that goes, and if you could take pics i would love to see them when they are on. :grin:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie M @ May 14 2010, 08:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322800
Yea the wheels have been in my garage for a while now and they were pretty dirty, so as i was washing them i found that my mom must have scraped a curb=x. Ill see if i can maybe get the scuff marks out a little bit before i sell them. I was thinking of selling them for $900-$1000 on craigs list. I mean they are 20 inch chrome rims so they have to be some what expensive.

When your 18s come in tell me how that goes, and if you could take pics i would love to see them when they are on. :grin:
Will do, the shoud have been in last week, I scrambled to get the Yokoama Envigors in since the rims were supposed to take week to 2 to arrive. Tires are sitting at the dealer now, just waiting for those rims. The parts dept rolled the same rim up to the car and it looks good. Like others have said it doen't fill the wheel gap up but is the same diameter just less tires.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
What size tires are on the rims? There are online tire size calculators to tell you how close an aftermarket set of tires are compared to the OEM size.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (Souks @ May 14 2010, 10:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322981
Will do, the shoud have been in last week, I scrambled to get the Yokoama Envigors in since the rims were supposed to take week to 2 to arrive. Tires are sitting at the dealer now, just waiting for those rims. The parts dept rolled the same rim up to the car and it looks good. Like others have said it doen't fill the wheel gap up but is the same diameter just less tires.
Do you need to buy new pressure monitors? Or can you use the ones on your 17s now

QUOTE (alex2006sonata @ May 14 2010, 11:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323004
What size tires are on the rims? There are online tire size calculators to tell you how close an aftermarket set of tires are compared to the OEM size.
the rim itself is 20 inches, i rolled it up to the car n the gap between the wheel well and the tire was less than 1/2 an inch so i didnt even bother trying

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie M @ May 15 2010, 09:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323125
Do you need to buy new pressure monitors? Or can you use the ones on your 17s now

the rim itself is 20 inches, i rolled it up to the car n the gap between the wheel well and the tire was less than 1/2 an inch so i didnt even bother trying
Canadian Sonata doesn't have tire pressure monitor so it doesnt affect me. But from other threads of American's upgrading they just moved the monitor over to new wheels. Just came from the dealer and Hyundai got my wheels ready to ship but someone forgot to move the boxes to the shipping area so it jus shipped on Friday so hopefully be here by the coming up Friday.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (Souks @ May 15 2010, 04:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323195
Canadian Sonata doesn't have tire pressure monitor so it doesnt affect me. But from other threads of American's upgrading they just moved the monitor over to new wheels. Just came from the dealer and Hyundai got my wheels ready to ship but someone forgot to move the boxes to the shipping area so it jus shipped on Friday so hopefully be here by the coming up Friday.

I asked my dealer they said they would swamp the monitors over for free.

P.S.: Good luck with your new rims hopefully you get them sooner than later haha

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Rims showed up today but they won't have time to put them on till tomorrow but I'm away for a wedding till Tuesday so will have to do it then. But here is a preview of the same rims on a Elantra.

They are gunmetal with a machine face and a gunmetal rim.

Attachments

·
Banned
630 Posts
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STOP THE INSANITY!!!!

a heavy set of 20's belongs on a big boat of a car (READ crown victoria, Lexus LS430, Infiniti Q45, etc) NOT A HYUNDAI SONATA!!!! the sonata is not powerful enough to tote around 100lb rims and get decent gas mileage

plus just think of all the unneeded stress you are putting on the axles, tie-rods, ball joints, control arms, etc...

:liebe011:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE (Souks @ May 20 2010, 02:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324705
Rims showed up today but they won't have time to put them on till tomorrow but I'm away for a wedding till Tuesday so will have to do it then. But here is a preview of the same rims on a Elantra.

They are gunmetal with a machine face and a gunmetal rim.
Did you get those from the dealer?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yep they are Hyundai wheels, made for them by third party company (Fast Wheels) but sold exclusively by Hyundai dealers. So they are exact match as far as bolt pattern, hub size etc, comes with Hyundai center cap. Got it as a tire / wheel package for $1500 mounted balanced and installed. The tires I picked were the new Yokohama Avid Envigor. They are 18" in size, same specs as the SE wheels. Will have real pics Tuesday evening.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
QUOTE (Souks @ May 20 2010, 07:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324839
Yep they are Hyundai wheels, made for them by third party company (Fast Wheels) but sold exclusively by Hyundai dealers. So they are exact match as far as bolt pattern, hub size etc, comes with Hyundai center cap. Got it as a tire / wheel package for $1500 mounted balanced and installed. The tires I picked were the new Yokohama Avid Envigor. They are 18" in size, same specs as the SE wheels. Will have real pics Tuesday evening.
I might have to go take a look into that (not copying i swear :whistling: ) that way i know its safe to put on my car, i cant wait to see your pictures

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie M @ May 20 2010, 08:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324896
I might have to go take a look into that (not copying i swear :whistling: ) that way i know its safe to put on my car, i cant wait to see your pictures

No problems. They have 4 different styles in 18" sizes. A all gun metal version similar to mine in design, my machine gun metal, a all chrome design with recessed spokes and something else. For 17" there are about 8 styles.

P.S. Fast Wheels is a Canadian company too so not sure if they are contracted for US Hyundai dealers also, so not sure if your dealer will have the same ones, but I'm sure they will have other designs too. Can't see Hyundai Canada offering something Hyundai USA doesn't as far as parts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts