Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ongoing intermittent problem with my exterior lighting. Occasionally, the front right amber light and the entire right rear light assembly, along with the license plate light do not work. Sometimes, if I turn the car off and on or repeatedly turn the lights off and on, all the lights will come back on. I have had the car back to the dealer several times, and they even changed the light switch on the steering column, but the problem still comes back very intermittently. I have blue LED's light bulbs for the license plate and wonder if this could be the problem. There are no codes being thrown according to the dealer. I searched this forum but didn't see any results. Any ideas???

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have an ongoing intermittent problem with my exterior lighting. Occasionally, the front right amber light and the entire right rear light assembly, along with the license plate light do not work. Sometimes, if I turn the car off and on or repeatedly turn the lights off and on, all the lights will come back on. I have had the car back to the dealer several times, and they even changed the light switch on the steering column, but the problem still comes back very intermittently. I have blue LED's light bulbs for the license plate and wonder if this could be the problem. There are no codes being thrown according to the dealer. I searched this forum but didn't see any results. Any ideas???
If anyone cares, the use of LED's in the license plate light locations was causing this problem. I removed the LED's and replaced with originals and all lights working normally now.

·
Registered
660 Posts
That is interesting. Did you try that LED in another socket to see if that LED had a bad (shorted circuit) that caused the problem. I have used many a LED and never had an issue like that. Was the RH tail lamp fuse burnt out?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Hmm, I have LED plate lights. Maybe I need to be checking them, but I think they're working normally.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've had LEDs in my license plate lights for a couple years now and never had a problem. In fact there have been more than one size installed and none caused a problem. If this happened something must have been wrong with the led and then it still does not make sense according to electrical logic. Thanks for the information.

I was not aware you could install blue lights on the rear of your auto without risking a ticket.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since it sounds like nobody else had problems using LEDs in this location, I am guessing one of the bulbs must have been shorting-out causing the right side light outage. But I sure felt like a blind squirrel trying to trace the problem! It was actually a Hyundai engineer that advised the dealership to tell me to check the license plate bulbs. Also, I don't know about blue "license plate" bulbs being illegal but I never had anyone stop me for using them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts