Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find instructions on how to remove the right cv shaft on a 2001 sonata 2.5L automatic.
What I have read on other models is there is a clip that allows the shaft to come out.
I have all parts off but can not figure out how to remove the shaft. The driver side just required prying. This is different.
I took pictures of the 2 joints.

Can anyone help me out and tell me how to get the shaft out? If I do not need to remove it from the tranny to get the outer part off that is fine. I only want to change the outer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it just pull out? Im trying to remove it and cant get it to separate.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Yeah, it is suppose to pry out just like the other side
If it is stuck then there are some other methods to pull it out.
Usually a shock loosens it
But, the shock is administered by a special tool.
Sometimes they will use a vise grip attached to a slide hammer
Remove everything but the inner cup and use that for the vise grip to attach to
Sometimes use a chain and slide hammer
Seen one where they used a pickle fork
Check youtube for videos.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Yep the chain and slide hammer usually works. Try rotating it a little to put the circlip in another position. I had one where the circlip broke off inside the final drive. Bad.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Can we please be a bit more precise ?

The right side is substantially different from the left due to the intermediate shaft with its extra bearing bolted to the block.
The right side inner CV joint can be separated from the intermediate shaft by pulling/prying it off (while it is very hard not to damage the dust seal), correct. The intermediate shaft removal from the diff/final drive however requires unbolting the center bearing bracket from the block.
Removing the right side CV axle/driveshaft may require unbolting the lower ball joint from the suspension arm in order to be able to move the steering knuckle far enough to disengage the CV joint from the intermediate shaft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got it out. I just rotated the shaft until i found the sweet spot and the clip let go when prying. Thanks for the help .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts