Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on the hiway about a week ago when an annoying warning sound kept going off over and over telling me my BSD (blind side detection) was turned off. I never have it on so not sure why it would be doing that. I finally got to somewhere I could turn the car off and back on again and the annoying bell went away and didn't come back. I turned on the blind side detection and have been driving with it on ever since. A week now. Just so I can clarify the blind side detection, in my understanding, is the feature that when a car is passing on either side of me small orange lights on my rear view mirrors light up to tell me there is someone there.
All that seems to be working but what isn't working anymore and stopped working when I got that alarm warning, is the right side camera when I put my blinker on to turn right.
So I'm wondering if someone can tell me is there a chance it somehow got turned off and can I simply turn it on again? If so, how?
If it is failed can someone tell me approximately how much something like that might cost to fix?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Guitarman,
I believe you are mixing two warning systems together. The BSD (Blind Spot Detection) and the LDWS ( Lane Departure Warning System) are two separate systems both activated by buttons on the lower left dash. BSD uses radar emanating from the rear bumper. When enabled it activates only after speeds greater then 20 mph and illuminates the yellow warning indicators located in the side view mirrors and the dash display. If you use your turn signal it will beep. The LDWS uses cameras located behind the front windshield by your rear view mirror. When enabled it activates only after the car is doing 44 mph or greater and the car veers out of its lane. It will beep and show on the dash display and show the line you are crossing. If you use your turn signal it won't trigger the LDWS. It won't work if there are no lane lines or it can't see the lines because of snow or rain or you're going slower than 44 mph. Long story short look on the dash where the trunk release is and push the button for either system you want active.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Guitarman,
I believe you are mixing two warning systems together. The BSD (Blind Spot Detection) and the LDWS ( Lane Departure Warning System) are two separate systems both activated by buttons on the lower left dash. BSD uses radar emanating from the rear bumper. When enabled it activates only after speeds greater then 20 mph and illuminates the yellow warning indicators located in the side view mirrors and the dash display. If you use your turn signal it will beep. The LDWS uses cameras located behind the front windshield by your rear view mirror. When enabled it activates only after the car is doing 44 mph or greater and the car veers out of its lane. It will beep and show on the dash display and show the line you are crossing. If you use your turn signal it won't trigger the LDWS. It won't work if there are no lane lines or it can't see the lines because of snow or rain or you're going slower than 44 mph. Long story short look on the dash where the trunk release is and push the button for either system you want active.
Thank you for the response. What I was saying is that my problem didn't start until the BSD went haywire with an annoying ringing that kept dinging every 5 seconds until I turned the car off then back on. After that the right side camera didn't work anymore. This is the feature where I put the right blinker on to turn right and the screen shows the outside view on the right (as opposed to the rear view camera) Now when I turn the right blinker on the camera no longer shows the view on my camera display.
As for LDWS I never have that on as I don't like that feature. BSD I don't usually have on unless I'm on a longer trip on the hiway.
I'm just wondering what might be up with the camera that used to show the right side view and if there is a way to turn it on or if I'm looking at a repair.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It appears I misunderstood. My 2015 doesn't have cameras on the sides it must be a feature on the 2016 and up...

·
Registered
406 Posts
There aren't cameras, they are radars in the back corners under the bumper cover. In the even that one malfunctions, a warning will pop up on the screen between the gauge saying "check BSD system" at which time it will shut off blind spot detection feature. If it continues to not alert you with a tone while there is a vehicle in the area then you need to have the dealer look into it. This isn't a user serviceable part. Even if it is illuminating the icon on the right side mirror and not making the sound when you have the signal engaged then something is faulty with the system.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Makes a sound only;
1. Car in blind spot.
2. Warning in mirror lights up.
3. Turn signal (lane change) switched on.

All three above must be there for sound to come on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure why no one understands me. Lets forget BSD for a second. I did get a BSD warning that it was turned off at the same time my camera problem started, but BSD works fine.
When I turn my right blinker on, what displays on my screen display (you know where the navigation is) is the right side of my car outside view. So there is a camera there. I guess it must be a safety feature in case, say a cyclist was coming up the right side of me. Well this camera quit working. When I go in reverse the backup camera still displays but not the camera when I turn my right blinker on. This is the subject of my initial question. Was there some where this might have gotten turned off? Do I have to get the camera on the right side of the car fixed? If so what am I looking at cost wise?

·
Registered
312 Posts
You must be talking about the Honda Accord.The Sonata system does not work that way.The only way you can see "sides' of the car is if you have the 360 degree camera

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You must be talking about the Honda Accord.The Sonata system does not work that way.The only way you can see "sides' of the car is if you have the 360 degree camera
I've had my 2016 Hyundai Sonata Sport Tech for over a year. Until about a month ago whenever I put the right blinker on to turn right I'd get a right side display on my screen. My 2015 Honda CRV also has this. On my Sonata this quit working for some reason.
Does no one else have this feature on their 2016 Sonata?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I just saw something on the net that Honda calls this feature "Lane watch". Not sure what hyundai calls it but thats what my Sonata has. Or had until it stopped working. "Lane Watch" not to be confused with BSD "Blind Side Detection".

·
Registered
406 Posts
This is obviously a feature that we miss out on here in the US as none of the sonata models ever came with the right side camera on the side mirrors. Hondas offer it here tho so wonder why hyundai didn't feel the need to include it for us. We always get stuff stripped that the rest of the world gets :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is obviously a feature that we miss out on here in the US as none of the sonata models ever came with the right side camera on the side mirrors. Hondas offer it here tho so wonder why hyundai didn't feel the need to include it for us. We always get stuff stripped that the rest of the world gets :(
As hard done by as you feel its usually us Canadians that get the short end. Its hard to believe that we in Canada get something the US doesn't. As there would be no rhyme or reason to it. I'm going to talk to the dealer when I go in later this afternoon just to make sure I'm not hallucinating.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Funny thing is you keep saying when I turn right it does not work ,you never mentioned left?did it or does it work when you turn left? also there are many canadians on here and in 3 years not one has mentioned that feature.Maybe you are confused with the rcta ? that will show up on your dash

·
Registered
671 Posts
Can you take a video of that feature? I'm a bit jealous that we don't have that system down here in the US.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts