Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

We have a hyundai santa fe sport 2.4l 2014.

The right brake light is out, so I purchased new bulbs and replaced it but it still didn't come on when pressing the break.

The left and upper brake lights are good, but the right is out and I've tried 2 new packs of bulbs thinking the first pack could've been bad bulbs... lol

Another strange thing is that all of the tail lights work without an issue.

Please help as I don't know where to go from here and inspection is coming due.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi grandpaswagon,

Yes, they're 2057. However, the one that was in there initially was a single filament... That's odd. Do you thing that may have shorted the system?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Pic of OE bulb removed ??

Pic of offending socket ??

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
Yes, they're 2057. However, the one that was in there initially was a single filament... That's odd. Do you thing that may have shorted the system?
Is the other side using the same single filament bulb?
Would check the socket for powers and ground to bulb
Will probably need assistance with pressing brake while testing socket

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,930 Posts
The high level brake light is working so it's highly unlikely you have a blown fuse.

Have you tried installing the correct single filament bulbs yet? I think it's what you guys call an 1156 bulb you need for that socket. We call them 382 bulbs over here in the UK/EU.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Socket indicate single element bulb, common 1156 in USA..

Fuse protect whole circuit, so a working stop light pretty well says circuit is live.

Dual filament bulb will not fit single element socket without being difficult to fit to socket, as locating pins even height on single bulb,, and 2 height on dual filament bulb, so should have bound up when try to rotate to set into socket,, and make for socket damage possibly

I am wondering if you selected the correct socket from lamp assembly, as brake light is normally second function of tail light, so you should have grabbed socket with 3 wire (ground, tail +, stop +)

-- Recent funny,, fella buy new Santa Fe,, Customer states inside brake lights inop since hitch install (other tech),,, wrote up as WARRANTY... Outers and middle work.. test trailer per customer request, normal.. unplug from factory connectors, same result -> 2 outer and middle.

Remove 1 inner socket for visual, has a 2 filament bulb in socket, but socket only has 2 wire and 2 contact (ground and contact at 1 side of dual contact bulb-- tail function)

Told advisor, he like "that not right, and goes and grab 1 off lot... says this has inners that work when step on pedal.. I look,, YEP,, hey advisor fella,, this car has LED.... customer has filament bulbs..cant have inner stop lights on lamps that aint wired for stop.. I still got paid for wasted time

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,930 Posts
Customer states inside brake lights inop since hitch install
Yeah, we all get our fair share of those customers. Then they go away and tell all their friends not to get work done at that garage because they broke my stop lights and refused to fix them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the all of your suggestions and attention on this matter!

After spending $100 bucks, I was able to narrow it down and fix the issue.

I purchased a circuit tester from Lowes. Disconnected the connector to the back lights and tested each port withing the female adapter that is supplying the power. Everything tested good and steady numbers. At this point I thought the wiring connections on the housing went bad. But before, pitching new housing kits, I went to a local AutoParts store and purchased a can of Electronic Cleaner.

I spayed the bulb connectors and let it sit for a while, placed the bulbs back into the socket and everything was back to normal.

There's a lot of dirt between the tail light housing and the car panel which I think the mixture of dirt and rain water may have built-up in the connectors which is why the cleaner fix it.

Again, thanks for all of your help in this matter. Have a great weekend!

Thanks,
Darin

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Is the other side using the same single filament bulb?
Would check the socket for powers and ground to bulb
Will probably need assistance with pressing brake while testing socket
I use a piece of wood between the brake pedal and the seat!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts