Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there and I'm glad that I finally joined the forum. Been reading it for a long time, never signed up.

So I just completed an oil change on my 2018 Santa Fe Sport (2.4L Theta Engine), drained it, put the plug bag on, a new filter that I patiently prefilled with oil to prime it (Purolator Boss PBL14461), and then poured the rest of the 5 Quart jug into the engine. I did not intend to start the engine, I just wanted to turn it over to for a couple of seconds to move the lube around and prime it. It has push-button start, but I assumed that I could just floor the gas, hit the start button and the engine would just turn over without starting. Long and behold it fired right up and proceeded to get almost up to 4000 rpm before I got to cut it off. So maybe it ran for like 2 seconds, but probably less.

I am wondering if this may have caused any kind of damage to my engine, or if there is even any way to check for such damage. The oil I put in was Castrol Edge 0w-40 Full Synthetic (Belgian Castrol I guess). The engine is running fine, just like it did before.

I don't know how I could have done something this stupid, I guess sometimes being tired takes its toll. I feel really bad and I'm wondering if there will be any consequences to this. Thank you for any insight.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
There still would have been a sheet of residual oil over the rotating parts and at 4,000 RPM the fresh oil probably got there in a hurry :)

Hey, we all do crazy things once in a while. I would not obsess over it. Probably fine. 0W-40? I don't have my owner's manual right in front of me. Is that acceptable per the owner's manual for the area you reside in?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm not quite following your post----you filled the engine with 5 quarts of full synthetic oil then turned it on after it was all sealed up? Isn't that what you're supposed to do....one must start up after filling at some point. There's oil in the engine, I'm not quite understanding the concern....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There still would have been a sheet of residual oil over the rotating parts and at 4,000 RPM the fresh oil probably got there in a hurry :)

Hey, we all do crazy things once in a while. I would not obsess over it. Probably fine. 0W-40? I don't have my owner's manual right in front of me. Is that acceptable per the owner's manual for the area you reside in?
I'm not quite following your post----you filled the engine with 5 quarts of full synthetic oil then turned it on after it was all sealed up? Isn't that what you're supposed to do....one must start up after filling at some point. There's oil in the engine, I'm not quite understanding the concern....
Thank you kindly for your reply.

Yes, everything was sealed up, drain plug torqued to 32.5 ft. lb. just like the service manual says, oil filter was filled up until it would not take any more oil (i actually went over a couple of times because of the drain back valve, need to learn to be more patient with it) and then I hand tightened it, then fille up the engine with the rest of the 5 qt jug.

A couple of years ago I had a 2016 Santa Fe Sport and I was always bringing my own oil (back then it was Mobil 1 EP 5w-30). One of the techs that were pretty experienced went with me on a ride while we were looking for the source of random noise in my car, and he also explained to me to bring 6 quarts of oil for my next oil change. He did a lot of engine swaps back then due to the Theta II engines going bad, and he insisted that these engines need 6 quarts of oil, and he said don't worry about the manual. He's no longer there, and my dealership won't allow customers to bring their own oil, and when you ask them what they will put in your engine the answer is every time different. So I decided to do my own oil changes and got from 5w-30 (last oil change was done with dealers oil) to Castrol Edge 0w-40 (Belgian Castrol, probably the same as German Castrol). I read the spec sheet for that oil and it seems to hit all the right marks. Also, because I want to minimize fuel dilution and other problems. The International manual

Anyway, my plan was to turn over the engine a few times without starting it after putting in the 5 quarts, to see where my oil is. Cars that I owned in the past would not start if I pressed the gas pedal all the way to the floor. This one has a push-button start, but I thought it would behave the same way. Needless to say that right up after sounding like it didn't get enough gas (I guess it went into WOT mode to clear a flood, not sure if the ECU is programmed to mimic that), and then it fired right up and started climbing towards 4000 rpm really fast. As soon as I saw that I let go of the gas and pushed the Start/Stop button and turned the engine off. I checked everything, no oil leaks, nothing.

I got the car off the ramps, let it run for a minute or two, then turned it off, waited another minute, checked the level. I add some more oil. I got around 5.6 to 5.7 quarts in there (filter fill-up included), which is a bit more than the 5.3 you're supposed to put in there. I went by what this Hyundai tech told me, but I also didn't want to go the full 6 quarts. Back in the day when he did my oil changes he did put the full 6 quarts in my old Santa Fe Sport. It always ran fine, it never burned oil. I know the oil capacity for the Theta II 2.4 engine has been debated here, so I am not trying to start another debate.

So all in all my concern was that I started the engine with an immediate rev-up to around 4000RPM. Again, I immediately cut it off, but I hope that I didn't create any damage inside the engine. I feel really bad about it, as I plan on keeping this car for a very long time and I don't want any issues with it. Currently, I got like 22K miles on it and I always took really good care of it. What I did is kind of like dropping the milk bottle on your baby so to speak.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have used 5.1 quarts during every change and it's always slightly above the full line--I check several times over the next few days as well--I have heard to put more that that but I get conflicting reports so I go with slightly high levels. Also, I don't believe you have to fill the oil filter with oil, just put it on the seals and hand tighten.

Back to running it with 5 quarts, You're fine.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Think of it this way....On a REALLY cold morning (Think -15 degrees F) the engine may rev to 2,000 RPM give or take 500 RPMs on a cold start. Precisely why I use full synthetic in all of my engines, large and small. Now granted, that is not 4,000 RPM, but even 4,000 RPM is just over halfway to the red line and obviously below the rev limiter for park / neutral. I really wouldn't be too concerned about it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I was worried for no good reason. The car is running great after all these months. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Certainly filling the oil filter is fine to do and brings up oil pressure seconds faster. You should be fine and best of luck!

Reactions: YogiTheCat

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Oil is thick film lubrication and needs sufficient surface speed to form a protective barrier so revving the engine would not have done any harm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm actually amazed how well the engine runs on the Castrol EDGE 0W-40. I actually did one more oil change since I posted this, right after 2000 miles, just to get out all the crap from the dealer oil change. They put Pennzoil synthetic blend in it, and it was garbage. I had brown varnish from that oil. Now the engine is really clean. When I open the oil filler cap, I can seen inside the valve cover and everything is nice and shiny, like it's supposed to be. Our Hyundai dealer used to let customers bring their own oil, which is what I did. Then one day they changed policy and didn't allow customer oil anymore. They assured me that it's Pennzoil Platinum oil I'm getting. Then one of the techs who's been there for 19 years and who I know pretty well told me that they only have one kind of oil, it's 5W-30, and that's it. They will write whatever on the service paperwork, and charge you for synthetic, but you're getting oil from the same barrel that folks who opt for the cheapest oil change get. I guess this is par for the course for most dealerships, not just Hyundai. What the world has come to...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts