·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The below write up is in reference to the exLED Trunk LED for the MD

Executive Summary:
It works.
Its Bright.
But it doesn't fit exactly the way it should.

Details & Issues:
I've attached two images for details and reference.

1) The board seems to be too large for the plastic diffuser housing for the trunk light. Now, I'm not sure if this was designed to fit all cars, and that's why I'm having this issue, but it is what it is.

There are two tabs across the top edge which restrict the board to be pushed to the back of the housing, this creates an interference point along the bottom edge, which restricts the installation of the cover that goes in place the way it was intended. also, the black cover for the assembly is supposed to clip onto the metal piece that runs across the top, the interference doesn't allow for that tab to engage. So in essence, the cover is just sitting there...

2) The board that replicates the bulb cross section seems as though its a touch too wide as well. Its tough to see in the image, but the copper plate isn't sitting just right.

Now, with all of that being said and out of the way. This is a really really bright LED replacement. I would highly recommend it (when they resolve these issues).
The fit and finish isn't the end of the world, and the board isn't going to pop out or anything, it should be fine. What I'm concerned about though is if the diodes will melt the plastic diffuser over time. But time will tell.

just thought I'd share my experience with this so far. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had the same issue. Its working but wasnt as smooth of install as I had planned.. and EXTREMELY bright. That is not exaggerating. Its insane.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since it's LED it doesn't actually get hot does it?
Hot is qualitative term. I think it gets warm. :)

But mind you my trunk doesnt stay open very long [Insert Junk in your Trunk Joke Here]

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same issue. Its working but wasnt as smooth of install as I had planned.. and EXTREMELY bright. That is not exaggerating. Its insane.
Thats good to know that it wasnt just me. Mind you, this review was more of warning that a negative review. the product still works as described. But as you mentioned. It just wasnt a very smooth install.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Since it's LED it doesn't actually get hot does it?
No heat issues with mine

And to the OP mine were the same way. Nothing a little bending on the tab didnt fix. It sits firmly now.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
It's funny actually how these little slivers of PCB can produce so much light. I'm surprised the industry hasn't converted over to LED technology yet.

·
22,788 Posts
Nice you guys figured it out. I took a slightly different approach. I had one of those spring-loaded connectors the fits within the two contact points. You squeeze the ends, insert into the clips, and release. The spring maintains tension. Off one end are the two wires with a connector that is used to make your circuit for the LED.

I ran two 15 LED light strips from the center of the bulb holder off each side. Adhesive backed. Just ran them alongside the upper edge of the trunk shelf. Hidden, out of sight unless you bend down and look up inside. Made my wire connections. Tucked everything back into the housing and reinserted it.

Open the truck at night, it's like daytime. Cost of install: $1 each for the LED strips. I had the spring connector I had left over from a previous LED purchase.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Nice you guys figured it out. I took a slightly different approach. I had one of those spring-loaded connectors the fits within the two contact points. You squeeze the ends, insert into the clips, and release. The spring maintains tension. Off one end are the two wires with a connector that is used to make your circuit for the LED.

I ran two 15 LED light strips from the center of the bulb holder off each side. Adhesive backed. Just ran them alongside the upper edge of the trunk shelf. Hidden, out of sight unless you bend down and look up inside. Made my wire connections. Tucked everything back into the housing and reinserted it.

Open the truck at night, it's like daytime. Cost of install: $1 each for the LED strips. I had the spring connector I had left over from a previous LED purchase.
Sounds like a good solution Rich
I would like to have a led strip in my Tucson, but I don't have a center bulb holder , just the one on the left inside wall of the trunk. My LED is bright, but the led strip would give a more even and distributed light spread I believe

·
22,788 Posts
You can buy one of those 60 SMD LED circuit boards on eBay for a couple of bucks and comes with the spring connector, but not sure it will fit the Tucson's dimensions in the housing. Works well in the Elantra's center dome light, for those others reading this post. Bright as daytime in there.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I did this at first as well. But they weren't bright enough unfortunately. I may still try it to ensure I light up the far corner. Rich, do you have a link of which one you purchased. I'm still planning on doing my foot well in the interior and if they are as bright as you say they are, they should fit the part.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I had a trunk light mounted LED but upgraded to a 12" 16 LED strip that's 3M taped to the upper inside area of the trunk (totally invisible from the outside when off). Simple plug & play as it has a 31mm festoon power adapter, and is way brighter than the previous one mounted in the trunk light housing. Also does a much better job of lighting everywhere in the trunk, leaves no dark areas.

·
22,788 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts