Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Morning,

I plan on installing a rearview camera today but don't have access to the wiring diagram. Can anyone tell me what color the wire is in the back tailight so I can connect the camera to "reverse" so it turns on when I put the car in reverse?

Even better is there a spot closer upfront that I can connect the wire to?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I assume you're looking for a +12 headed to the backup lamps when the car is placed in reverse? The left backup lamp is Blue/Black. The right backup lamp is Blue.

As for getting to that signal sooner, the reverse signal also finds its way to the mirror so that it drops out of dim mode at night if you put it in reverse. There should be a blue wire (pin 2 on the regular ones, pin 9 if yours has the Homelink system included) that indicates 'reverse'. That signal works its way back down to the back of the junction box under the left end of the dash, but is NO fun to access. From there, it heads back to the transaxle where the actual switch is located.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you I will remove the passenger side kick panel tomorrow and try to find either of the blue wires.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
If you can access the junction box, Pin 4 of I/P-B and Pin 14 of I/P-N are the wires (both blue) leading to the driver's mirror from the transaxle switch. The actual power wires from the transaxle switch rearward to the two backup lamps don't pass through the passenger compartment at all, and although they are blue and blue/black as they leave the lamps as noted above, they change color in the harness on the way to the transaxle switch, so beware if looking for another alternative.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
finding needle in the haystack

OK so I will not find the blue wire in the kick panel of the passenger side correct?

Therefore I have to find the junction box or can I find the blue wire from within the rearview mirror or by removing door panel?

Got any pics of what the junction box looks like? :D

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reverse Light blue + passenger kick, red 20 pin plug, pin 2

according to a remote start forum this is the reverse light? anyone explain what 20 pin plug, pin 2 means in simple terms?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
OK so I will not find the blue wire in the kick panel of the passenger side correct?

Therefore I have to find the junction box or can I find the blue wire from within the rearview mirror or by removing door panel?

Got any pics of what the junction box looks like? :D
No, it's above your left foot where you'll find the junction box. It's just that it's a right pain to access to begin with unless you're a contortionist, and then you have to sort out which plug you're after with a flashlight in your teeth. Just sayin'

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dont cut the wrong wire!

Sorry for the long thread....

I think I found the junction box (molex connectors) but I am unsure which one is Pin 4 of I/P-B and Pin 14 of I/P-N. I understand what Pin means but what does "I/PB AND P/P-N" refernce. I attached a PIC of the junction box.

I see a white on, a blue one, brown one, and green one. (All have blue wires). Which Molex is I/PB and I/PN?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Those are the connector names.

Now that you've already done the hard part, the rest should be easier.
One of the harnesses on (I think) the right side of the tan/pink connector on the top of your drawing should have 4 wires - one gray (12), one green (11), one black (13). The last should be blue (4). If you can spot that, you've found your 'reverse wire'. It gets +12 whenever you're in reverse.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Bob - we seem to have a disconnect. Where are you locating this red plug, and what part of the reverse power to the mirror (or whatever else) is passing through it? I get the impression you're finding 'reverse' somewhere else, which would be OK, if it were possible to find it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Got it

IGNORE ALL MY OTHER POSTS REGARDING THIS MATTER I WAS ALL WRONG.

How To Tap Into Reverse Light For Backup Camera
1) Disconnect battery
2) Remove fuse panel cover
3) Remove Fog-ESC-AWD switch panel (push out from behind)
4) Remove Red Connector
5) Remove Electric tape from the Red Connector wiring
6) Tap into BLUE wire with wire tap connector
ie. Posi-Tap- No Crimp Tap
7) Done

***See PIC For Reference****

FYI: I went with a pioneer backup camera connected to a Pioneer Double Din AVH-X5600BHS
500% improvement in sound over the stock unit.

p.s. IP B means Instrument Panel Socket B Instrument Panel is located above the fuse panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
You'll find IP-N is the other socket.

Glad you spotted it. No fun to get to, to be sure. Take it you found the four wires as described earlier, with the blue one on pin 4? Tough to tell from the photos.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CANDERSON…THANK YOU!

Based on Anderson instructions I found a RED PLUG above the FUSE PANEL in the upper left corner of the junction box. PIN 4 is blue, when I tapped into the BLUE wire in PIN 4 i got power when the car is in reverse so the camera engages.

Apparently there also is option to tap into the reverse light behind the passenger kick panel. I DID NOT CONFIRM this option but apparently there is a red 20 pin plug and PIN2 is also for the reverse light.

Thanks again for all those that posted on this thread to help me out. Project complete!

·
Registered
479 Posts
If possible please provide a close up image of where you connected, I think I see in the pictures above it looks like on the red connector there is a blue wire at the bottom of the connector with a red tap that a violet wire is also attached, is that true?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The purple wire you see is tapped into the blue wire on the Red Connector pin 4. The purple wire goes to the receiver. The purpose of the purple wire is to activate the rear view camera when the car is in reverse. The pics I posted show you what it looked like after I finished the wiring not before.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Right. Saw the barrel splice, but in that confined space, the flash kinda wiped out the wire colors!

Really glad you located it and have it working now. How's your back? :eek: I used to hang around upside down under dashboards, but I'm getting to old for that stuff these days. The door sill is too hard on the back.

·
Registered
479 Posts
what kind of unit did you install? was it real expensive? where did you get it? what made you choose the unit you bought?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts