Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am having real problems in putting my i10 (1.2 Premium) in reverse gear. I brought the car used with 8000miles on the clock . It was registered in April 2017 and I purchased the car in Oct 2017 from a main dealer.

I have taken the car back six times to the dealership they adjusted the clutch three times but makes no difference. The last three times they stated that this is a characteristic of the car and there's no fault.

If I let the car idle for 10/15 minutes the car goes in to reverse smoothly.

But this didn't explain why the courtesy car they gave me worked fine. Every time

Please can you give me any recommendations on what to do next? Or if you experienced the same problem?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
341 Posts
Reverse is not normally a synchromesh gear and if one of the gears is in the wrong position they won't engage. You could try pushing the gearlever forward into another gear first to shift the gears around and then try reverse. Alternatively select reverse before you switch the engine off then in the morning start the engine with the clutch down.

Reactions: Longshot

·
Registered
722 Posts
No problems with our 2015 Premium. We have to reverse it off our drive every day, goes into reverse just fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the very same issue with my i10 premium. Having failed to solve the problem at the dealer I now select 1st gear, followed by reverse. It works fine to be honest and doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have the very same issue with my i10 premium. Having failed to solve the problem at the dealer I now select 1st gear, followed by reverse. It works fine to be honest and doesn't bother me.
I had a Smart Forfour in 2006 and it was an automated manual. You could never select reverse from N you just kept getting 0 on the display. Select D though and whack it straight through N to R and it selected straight away.
Like you say you soon get used to it. Smart and Mitusubishi colt used the same gearbox and never got to the bottom of it.

Reactions: Longshot

·
Registered
3 Posts
oh boy.. newly passed driver, first car for me, a 2015 1.2 i10 premium and it would not accept reverse in some instances tonight. 2nd day driving it. this forum and thread has helped considerably. Go first gear THEN reverse.. gotcha!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Its definately a characteristic, I think I remember press cars when first released were the same. I find dipping the clutch a few times before engaging reverse usually does the trick or try another gear first, release clutch and try reverse. It can be a pain at times.

Tim.

·
Registered
3 Posts
newly passed driver, this was my first car, 65 plate i10 premium I had real issues sometimes getting it into reverse! (as well as stalling but thats a different issue) its because of synchromesh thing (whatever that is) essentially. if its not going into reverse, eg. sometimes it seems it is in reverse gear but nothing happens and makes a noise.. you have to go to neutral first, completely let go of clutch, then depress clutch & change gear it will go into reverse first time all the time. its actually in the user manual to do this. havnt had a problem with a reverse since. sometimes it will go by itself if it wont then just neutral and clutch up first and will be fine. happy reversing!

·
Registered
341 Posts
What you're doing is exactly the right procedure. There is no synchromesh on reverse. You actually will engage three toothed cogs to get reverse so if one is not aligned it will not go in. Lifting the clutch in neutral lets them move about a bit so next try will almost certainly work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is only a small thing, but worth mentioning. You have to be stationary before trying to select reverse. As said above, there is no synchro on it and if either set of teeth are moving it will not engage. In these cases there is usually a GRRR sound involved too

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I am having real problems in putting my i10 (1.2 Premium) in reverse gear. I brought the car used with 8000miles on the clock . It was registered in April 2017 and I purchased the car in Oct 2017 from a main dealer.

I have taken the car back six times to the dealership they adjusted the clutch three times but makes no difference. The last three times they stated that this is a characteristic of the car and there's no fault.

If I let the car idle for 10/15 minutes the car goes in to reverse smoothly.

But this didn't explain why the courtesy car they gave me worked fine. Every time

Please can you give me any recommendations on what to do next? Or if you experienced the same problem?

Thanks

Mike
Dear All,
This is to inform you all that I have purchased a new Creta 2020. This car did not fulfill my expectations. I am very disappointed with its below par performance. This car has several manufacturing faults. First, the reverse gear always gets stuck. Even other gears are also not smooth. Brake is horrible. You will feel sudden jerk while breaking. Suspension is equally bad. Whenever we drove past potholes, it gave very uncomfortable ride due to its poor suspension. After gear, brake, suspension, there is another issue in it. Water vapor enters inside the headlight assembly, when I wash my car with water. Also, last but not the least, the car's mileage gives a total confusion. When the car fuel tank is full, it shows good mileage figure, but when fuel tanks is not full, it gives worse mileage figures, irrespective of driving. Very ridiculous are the issues with this Creta 2020 S model petrol. These are not at all expected from a car like Hyundai Creta 2020.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts