Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Premium SE model (2017) that has the colour touchscreen infotainment screen and was wondering whether connecting a reversing camera is a straight forward job. I have seen the part 81820K7010 on EBay for about £150 which appears to be just the camera with a small length of lead and an attachment plug but presume there must be another lead that will run from the rear of the car to the front. Is there a direct connection into the infotainment system?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai i20 SE Connect
170 Posts
This 2019 forum thread may be of interest

Update On Reversing Camera Install

It's stated on that thread that a reversing camera had not been available on any i10 model either as standard or optionally. Assuming that's correct, it will be near certain that there will be no factory-fitted cabling between your car's rear end and its colour touchscreen that would allow a reversing-camera to be connected up fairly easily.

You might find that your car's infotainment unit has a supplementary video input, but you'd probably need to take the the unit out to check this (and - if there were an input available - you'd certainly need to take the unit out to make the connection). And, even then, you'd need to find a way to turn the camera on.

Installing a reversing camera system on your i20 will never be a straightforward task and - as was said in the 2019 thread -

"Maybe its me, but having had use of an i10 this week I`m struggling to see the need for a reversing camera on a car thats only slightly bigger than a shopping trolley."

I retrofitted a reversing-camera system to one of my motorhomes and it was a tricky task. But there's a major difference between a 3.5tonne truck with no through-vision and a dinky i10 with a rear-view interior mirror and a tail-gate window. Suggest you forget the idea...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I think you may be right and it is potentially a lot more hassle than it's worth. I will sort out the reversing sensors (which are on the car but not actually working) and that will have to do.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai i20 SE Connect
170 Posts
If you run a GOOGLE-search using "hyundai installation backup camera" as the search criteria, you'll find plenty of examples of this task being done. However - as far as I can make out - it always involves using a separate display-unit in the cab or replacing the standard in-dashboard display with a 3rd-party unit.

If my wife's old Golf Estate car had reversing sensors, these might well have prevented me reversing it vigorously into a lamp-post in 2008. As the lamp-post was painted black and was just in front of a dark hedge (that was my excuse!) I'm doubtful that a reversing camera system would have saved the day. A reversing-camera system and a reversing-sensors system are both good to have, but (for a small car like the i10) the latter will be more useful than the former.

(The Golf was disposed of through the 2009 UK government scrappage scheme, so the large unsightly dents in the car's rear bumper and tail-gate didn't matter financially. However, that fact has not erased the incident from my wife's memory...)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts