Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used carbureted Excel with an adaptation in the ignition system. It has installed a Duraspark II system.

Previous owner removed the original part that was inside the distributor and placed a ford pickup coil. This part connects to the duraspark ignition module.

The vehicle suddenly did not fire anymore, and the mechanic indicated that it was the distributor. We install a new distributor.

Then, we connect everything as it was, start it, but the car does not turn on. The mechanic presumes that the electronic ignition motorcraft is burned.

My question is this: the module that is inside the original Hyundai distributor is already a pickup coil and ignition module in-one, so, I think just need to connect distributor cables to the coil, right ?, but I do not know how to do it.

Can someone send me a diagram of how to make the original connection please (indicating place/colors of the cables,...)?

Thanks in advance (really need it)

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Don't quite remember how it was hooked up?

On battery-ignition-coil
The battery goes to the ignition switch and then to a ballast resistor (sometimes)
And then goes to the positive side of the coil. (Current builds electric-magnetic field)
The negative side of the coil goes to the distributor which goes through the condenser and contact breaker (parallel circuit) And from the distributor, to ground.
When the rotating shaft of the distributor opened the contacts, a signal would be sent to the coil
(Current is suddenly stopped, electric-magnetic field collapses, and spark is produced)
The coil would in turn send a spark through the wire to the center of the distributor.
The rotor would then send the spark along to the correct spark plug to fire.

If you have the pick-up type of distributor then it should still be very similar.
If three wires coming from distributor.
One goes to positive of coil (along with B+)
Second goes to negative of coil
Third goes to ground

If two wires then body of distributor was used for ground

But, please do not listen to me.
I am only guessing here.
It has been a long time since I played with those things

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I bought a used carbureted Excel with an adaptation in the ignition system. It has installed a Duraspark II system.

Previous owner removed the original part that was inside the distributor and placed a ford pickup coil. This part connects to the duraspark ignition module.

The vehicle suddenly did not fire anymore, and the mechanic indicated that it was the distributor. We install a new distributor.

Then, we connect everything as it was, start it, but the car does not turn on. The mechanic presumes that the electronic ignition motorcraft is burned.

My question is this: the module that is inside the original Hyundai distributor is already a pickup coil and ignition module in-one, so, I think just need to connect distributor cables to the coil, right ?, but I do not know how to do it.

Can someone send me a diagram of how to make the original connection please (indicating place/colors of the cables,...)?

Thanks in advance (really need it)
Ignition System diagram attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,406 Posts
Alexpiccioli said:
the mechanic indicated that it was the distributor....The mechanic presumes that the electronic ignition motorcraft is burned
Sounds to me like you need to find a mechanic (or an AUTOSPARK, perhaps) that actually understands how electronic ignition systems work and how to diagnose them properly.

Have you removed the cap from the new distributor to see what's inside? They often have a module inside with two spade terminals, one marked "B" (for Battery) and one marked "C" (for Coil). The "B" terminal connects the ignition power supply, and the "C" terminal connects to the trigger side of the coil.

BTW, the diagram above doesn't look like it's for your car. That looks like the ignition system of an engine with fuel injection. A carburetor engine wouldn't need a crank position sensor, or an engine control module.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Hope the old parts weren't tossed out before verifying that it isn't needed anymore??

Ford pick up coil sense when the rotor is near the next position for the spark to happen
Then tell the ignition coil or ignition module to throw a spark.
A more likely suspect would have been the ignition module.

Could have replaced the pick up coil and/or ignition module and be done with it.
Not sure if they sell pick up coils anymore.
Except for speed shops that do naturally aspirated high performance engines.
Distributor goes bad when there is too much play in the rotation of the rotor
Or, when the cotter pin that holds the gear in place, on the shaft of the distributor, is broken,
Have only seen one time when the rotor self destructed.

Oh, was the distributor put in correctly?
Rotor pointing to number one cylinder
when number one cylinder is at TDC of compression or beginning burn cycle?
And all subsequent spark plug wires are in correct cylinder firing order??
If you don't know then just check for spark to see if you have any.
Then try using a timing light if you have one and have spark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot for answering.

Diagram above corresponds to fuel injection excel, not the carbureted model.

I'm going to try with info you guys gave me.

I'll keep informing about it (I hope not to be burned ignition module inside distributor)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Try a forum that is for Ford Ignition systems and you may find the most common answers to your problem. You may also find a source of troubleshooting such an ignition system. If it is the module in the distributor you can likely find them at Speedway or Jegs online.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts