Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this question hasnt been asked a thousand times:

I have a 2021 Kona with no GPS map option. Is it possible for the dealership to retrofit one, or am I looking at one of these aftermarket companies that charge between $700 and a thousand dollars? I wouldnt mind paying Hyundia pretty big bucks for a factory system, but if they cant do it, I'll just have to stick with my plug-in GPS.

Thanks!

Registered
run WAZE through your cell phone using android auto or apple carplay. it is better than the factory mapping. 馃嵑

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
run WAZE through your cell phone using android auto or apple carplay. it is better than the factory mapping. 馃嵑
Well... that's my problem. I dont own a Smart Phone and never will (I hope) Phones are made for talking, not playing games or playing on the Internet. (can you tell how old I am?) So I didn't know how Hyundai incorporated the GPS into their cars, and didn't know if they could just plug the program into a car that didn't have GPS.

Registered
Been asked many times.

In general, it'll probably be difficult to find the parts required since it's not like you'll find a lot of salvage parts from a junk yard.
If you are able to source the part, the installation I believe includes tearing down the roof of the car to put in the antennae. It's not like the portable GPS units that rely on signals you could get through the window.
Tearing down the car to get to the roof is a pain; it's the first piece to go in, then is supported by the pillar trims, supported by the lower pieces. Essentially, even the seats have to come out to get to the roof, so you are just adding labour hours to this job.

Your options are pretty much:
1) Go aftermarket and have voided warranty, plus the unpredictables of the long term reliability of your new Chinese infotainment system
2) Take the loss; go trade it in for the higher trim with the in-built GPS.
3) Shoot yourself in the foot and buy a cheap phone w/ data plan dedicated for car use
4) Continue with your plug-in GPS. Consider hardwiring it to reduce wires if that's what you're after.
5) Flaunt how old you are by using paper maps, spending hours trying to fold them back together.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Been asked many times.
5) Flaunt how old you are by using paper maps, spending hours trying to fold them back together.

Perfect! I had a feeling that it couldnt be done, so I'll just use my $50 plug-in that I bought 15 years ago. I'm sure none of the streets have changed. Hahaha...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts