Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, i'm a few months into the ownership of my Hyundai Accent and i'm loving it.
This is the first car i have owned and i'm glad i did all the research that lead me to it.

My question for the folks here on the Accent board is.

Can you get the factory cruise control installed on a stripped down GS model that did not come with it..??

The monotonous drive to-and-from work has a long straight highway that is the reason cruise was invented.
+ ...i think it will help my MPG to not have the little human fluctuations in foot-throttle input.

Can it be done?
Has anyone here done this??
..if so.. How much does it cost???

[btw, i have seen threads and looked into aftermarket CC kits, dunno if that's the route i wanna go]

Thanks in advance for any and all replies...

<div align='center'>mike

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looked into that, i'll do that if i HAVE TO.

Would rather have the buttons in the stock location and the factory cruise harness if possible, don't mind spending a little extra.

Anyone done a STOCK c/c retro-fit..??

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (capitalist_slave @ Nov 29 2010, 07:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375622
Looked into that, i'll do that if i HAVE TO.

Would rather have the buttons in the stock location and the factory cruise harness if possible, don't mind spending a little extra.

Anyone done a STOCK c/c retro-fit..??
I see. You'll need a new steering wheel as the buttons aren't available separately. Then a new clock spring, bunch of wiring and all the gizmos under the hood.

Your best bet is to find a wrecked Accent with cruise.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Nov 29 2010, 07:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375628
I see. You'll need a new steering wheel as the buttons aren't available separately. Then a new clock spring, bunch of wiring and all the gizmos under the hood.

Your best bet is to find a wrecked Accent with cruise.
****, was hoping to hear that someone has had the dealer do it and "It cost $___.__"

I might shoot an email to my sales guy @ Texan Hyundai where i bought it and see if they'd actually do it and how much they'd charge, the worst thing that would happen is they'd so they won't.. or it'll be some ridiculous amount. Best case they've done it before and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I'd do the Rostra kit and be done with it, except i don't really like the look of the control 'stick'... seems kinda flimsy...

Maybe someone can re-assure me that it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb and that it's not 'cheap feeling'.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (capitalist_slave @ Nov 29 2010, 10:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375679
****, was hoping to hear that someone has had the dealer do it and "It cost $___.__"

I might shoot an email to my sales guy @ Texan Hyundai where i bought it and see if they'd actually do it and how much they'd charge, the worst thing that would happen is they'd so they won't.. or it'll be some ridiculous amount. Best case they've done it before and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I'd do the Rostra kit and be done with it, except i don't really like the look of the control 'stick'... seems kinda flimsy...

Maybe someone can re-assure me that it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb and that it's not 'cheap feeling'.
Maybe you could do a hybrid. Use the rostra hardware & wiring with the Accent's steering wheel controls. You would need to map the steering wheel wiring to the stalk, after the clockspring.

·
Registered
709 Posts
i have investigated this option before I installed the rostra kit and made the writeup for the our cars.
The problem with the factory kit, aside from price, is the wiring harness that connects the rotating parts of the steering wheel to the rest of the underdash wiring harness. That piece of harness is not present in our cars, and there is no part that can be purchased from the dealership.
Cannibalizing a wreck is really the only viable option to get ALL of the necessary parts.

This is the same problem if you want to adapt the factory steering wheel audio controls from the kia rio to our cars.

Also, as a side note, you do not need a new steering wheel, just the buttons, and a new plastic cover piece, to replace the blank piece on our GS steering wheels.

edit: I found that the Rostra kit, especially since its a kit with all necessary parts, is a much easier option. and it still looks nice even if it isnt factory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the aftermarket installed in my 2009 GS, use it all the time and love it. My dealership did the install (sub'd out the work) a little over a year ago. My initial worry was that I would break off the control stem by kneeing it but so far I haven't touched it (sit with my seat all the way back). In the early months I grabbed it a few times, mistaking it for the turn signal, not anymore. Overall I like the CC now for the cons. One, it is not always smooth. Sometimes I can feel it adjust the speed. Second and more an issue that has happen on about 3 occasions is that the CC gets "stuck on". What I mean is I get off the highway, idling at the exit ramp traffic light but my idle RPM is about 2 - 2.5 times normal idle. Nothing short of turning off the engine seems to reset the CC. Like I said, this has only happened a few times so I haven't done anything about it warranty-wise.

[attachment=21785:Notsure26.jpg][attachment=21786:Notsure27.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
i have my cruise control stalk in the same location. I have bumped it by accident a few times when trying to hit the turn signal, but thats been my only issue.

the on/off button on the very end of the stalk is really easy to bump accidentally also. It can be annoying if you have the cruise engaged and you accidentally knock it off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the additional input guys...

I've gotten sort-of used to not having cruise control, until i had to haul-off trash last weekend.
Used the Cruise Control in my truck and immediately remembered what i'd been missing.

Getting kinda tired of the 'rigged up' Sirius boombox too... ready to drop the $2k to get my alarm and sound system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (CruznMac @ Dec 14 2010, 04:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379613
I have the aftermarket installed in my 2009 GS, use it all the time and love it. My dealership did the install (sub'd out the work) a little over a year ago. My initial worry was that I would break off the control stem by kneeing it but so far I haven't touched it (sit with my seat all the way back). In the early months I grabbed it a few times, mistaking it for the turn signal, not anymore. Overall I like the CC now for the cons. One, it is not always smooth. Sometimes I can feel it adjust the speed. Second and more an issue that has happen on about 3 occasions is that the CC gets "stuck on". What I mean is I get off the highway, idling at the exit ramp traffic light but my idle RPM is about 2 - 2.5 times normal idle. Nothing short of turning off the engine seems to reset the CC. Like I said, this has only happened a few times so I haven't done anything about it warranty-wise.

[attachment=21785:Notsure26.jpg][attachment=21786:Notsure27.jpg]
For 2010 GS 3 door automatic Accent, if you have NSS (Neutral Safety Signal) connection from your cruise control kits, you can find the connection at driver side hood fuse box white harness. This Automatic Trans Neutral/Park signal has been moved from instrument panel harness to hood fusebox harness since 2010 model. See picture for the black wire (most front left pin) of the harness. Tap it out to cruse control main cable near by. NSS wire on mine is light green.
My vendor told me the NSS is black/Orange wire which is not correct. So, here is the verification procedure.
1. Park the car, open the hood.
2. Disconnect battery ground (negative) cable. (shame on you if you skip this step)
3. Sit in driver seat, turn your car key to ignition, step on break and finally shift auto lever from "P" to "D".
4. Measure black wire pin impedance to car ground with ohm meter. Reading should be "OL" or over 1 Mega Ohm.
5. Shift the auto lever from "D" to "N", measure again the same pin to ground for impedance lower than 50ohm.
6. This is the correct pin if only "N" or "P" show low impedance to ground.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts