Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I think historically Hyundai was struggling to keep good resale value on their cars. Do you think new Sonata will change this? For how long you are planning to hold on to the car? Another thing to consider will be rental cars factor - how many rental outfit will use new Sonata's? Any other thoughts on this subject?
I'm planning to stay with my Sonata for next 5 years - at least that's the plan now...

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
I bought a $25K MSRP Sonata with a $8000 Discount off Sticker. No Tax, no Fees, including the Tag. Rebates back then were $3G, and
one of my Rebates bounced. Dealer wanted an extra $1000. I said NO. Did I mention I had their new Car for a Month. Ah "Spot Delivery". :liebe011:

I want you all to love your 5G or 6G Sonata (Depending if Wiki is right) The bottom line, Hyundai Resale value still to this day remains low no matter what model you have. To lose half your Money in 2 years hurts. If you Finance it gets worse. With no rebates or real incentives currently offered, knowing the Hyundai Marketing Scheme all too well, now might not be the right time for the best 2011 Sonata Value.
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial-tools/...ial-offers.aspx

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (ula @ Apr 20 2010, 04:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315055
Guys,
I think historically Hyundai was struggling to keep good resale value on their cars. Do you think new Sonata will change this? For how long you are planning to hold on to the car? Another thing to consider will be rental cars factor - how many rental outfit will use new Sonata's? Any other thoughts on this subject?
I'm planning to stay with my Sonata for next 5 years - at least that's the plan now...
ULA-

Don't worry, I think you picked a winner!

ALG is predicting a 54% residual for 36 months. Better than most competition.

See :
<a href='index.php?act=findpost&pid=0'>http://www.hyundaiusa.com/about-hyundai/news/YF_ALG-20100208.aspx
</a>

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just to add a little PERSPECTIVE to this discussion:

I am coming from a BMW 745 Li ownership. I lost about $20K in 2.5 years of owning the Bimmer. I told my wife there is NO WAY I am going to lose $20K with this Sonata, because I only paid $19.2K for it to start with!

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (jsmit86 @ Apr 20 2010, 04:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315072
ULA-

Don't worry, I think you picked a winner!

ALG is predicting a 54% residual for 36 months. Better than most competition.

See :
<a href='index.php?act=findpost&pid=0'>http://www.hyundaiusa.com/about-hyundai/news/YF_ALG-20100208.aspx
</a>

I have wondered about this. It was one of the factors that convinced me to purchase my Sonata. But I wonder if this is a little bit of smoke and mirrors. This car was released in Feb. as a 2011 model year. In 3 years, say Feb of 2013, the car will only be considered 2 years old. Nobody is going to remember that it's really been out 3 years. I'll be more curious to see what ALG says about residuals in October when everyone else is releasing 2011 models.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i just love the fact that you guys are driving '11 models this early in the year? How does that affect resale on paper. if you were to (re)sell it in '11 it would seem like a brand new car still, even though you already had ownership for a year!!! kudos to you guys. i remember back in the days cars would be released as what-ever-year it was and a half models. lol

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (RXDOC @ Apr 20 2010, 04:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315074

I am coming from a BMW 745 Li ownership. I lost about $20K in 2.5 years of owning the Bimmer. I told my wife there is NO WAY I am going to lose $20K with this Sonata, because I only paid $19.2K for it to start with!
Some great point guys. Thanks for contributing.

@RXDOC - yeah, that' the shocker when you think about the sum, but percentage wise i think BMW is still holding up not that bad.

@2011 - this is crazy. I can't believe it that i bought a 2011 model in March 2010...what can i say, only in America!... :banana:

·
Registered
267 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ Apr 20 2010, 06:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315079
In 3 years, say Feb of 2013, the car will only be considered 2 years old. Nobody is going to remember that it's really been out 3 years.
Unless Hyundai releases the 2012 in Feb.'11, the 2013 in Feb.'12, and the 2014 in Feb.'13 :grin: I wonder if the turbo and hybrid will be billed as 2012's?

Don

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (DonRich90 @ Apr 20 2010, 06:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315104
Unless Hyundai releases the 2012 in Feb.'11, the 2013 in Feb.'12, and the 2014 in Feb.'13 :grin: I wonder if the turbo and hybrid will be billed as 2012's?

Don
Well it's always been standard practice to release at the end of a year using next year as the model year. But no way they can release the turbo and hybrid in 2010 and call them 2012. That would really be pushing it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ Apr 20 2010, 08:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315110
Well it's always been standard practice to release at the end of a year using next year as the model year. But no way they can release the turbo and hybrid in 2010 and call them 2012. That would really be pushing it.

I think not so much the Turbo, but the Hybrid maybe since that is a later release in 4th qtr 2010. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Apr 20 2010, 07:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315106
And these figures are what again? Usually you can't get the exact worth of a Car 5 Years in advance. In fact you can't even enter in 2011's?
I agree with that. Besides another factor is Hyundai has not had to heap factory cash on the hoods of the Sonata to move them, unlike Toyota's Camry which has had to resort to fire-side-like sales to keep the metal moving over the curb. Quite frankly, this has always hurt Hyundai's resale value but not this time around.

I think it's fair to say based on their 53% sales increase in March, and with momentum continuing to build, the Sonata's resale value will only get better, (higher) beating the estimates. Expect to see demand and resale climb once both the kick @ss turbo and Hybrid models are launched.

Source for March 2010 sales:
http://wot.motortrend.com/6628654/industry...nata/index.html

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Right, but the more they sell, the lower the resale prices go. Known as flooding the Market. And who knew that the 2006/2007

Sonata would be the Rental Car of the Year. And while it seems Motortrend has somewhat fixed the used Sonata values, for the

last two Years they have had my $25,000 06LX Sonata listed as $3000, and they still subtract a $1000 for my Sunroof, Premium

Sound, V6, Leather, and they wont budge on this, claiming the GLS is the Value leader. :whistling:

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (RXDOC @ Apr 20 2010, 05:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315074

BMW has one of the best resale values out there. Residuals after 2-3 years are generally always high. You are talking about a car with a sticker value over 4x what you paid for your Sonata.

·
Registered
172 Posts
As far as I know any car company can release a next year model as of Feb 1st the year before.

So you are allowed to produce and stamp for the following year as long as it's past Feb 1st...

·
Registered
678 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Apr 20 2010, 07:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315106
And these figures are what again? Usually you can't get the exact worth of a Car 5 Years in advance. In fact you can't even enter in 2011's?
Those are KBB 5 year projected resale value of a GLS. Considering how much value you lose once you drive off the lot, I would say that the value is around the ball park price give or take a couple thousand depending on how much nice the car and mileage you have at that time frame. Go check it out yourself if you have doubts. I'm sorry to say, but no matter how nice the 2011 Sonatas are, they are no 50,000-100,000 luxury dollar car. So what do you expect?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well when I bought my 2006 Sonata I thought Hyundai had definitely turned a page and the resale would be getting better. Unfortunately they sold a ton to rental agencies, plus people are a little slow at realizing the quality of Hyundai so no such luck. I owned that car for a little over 4 years and I always seemed to be about break even on my loan (granted I was stupid and took out a 6 year loan). That being said I plan to own this one for 3 years and turn over the keys and not worry about the resale value. With the lease deals they are running (low money factor and high residual) I decided I wouldn't have to worry about resale for this car. What's great is I was able to get into the 2011 and lower my monthly payment by $75, plus I get better gas mileage than my 2006 V6 so its a win win.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ Apr 20 2010, 08:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315149
Those are KBB 5 year projected resale value of a GLS. Considering how much value you lose once you drive off the lot, I would say that the value is around the ball park price give or take a couple thousand depending on how much nice the car and mileage you have at that time frame. Go check it out yourself if you have doubts. I'm sorry to say, but no matter how nice the 2011 Sonatas are, they are no 50,000-100,000 luxury dollar car. So what do you expect?
Yes I was looking for a link. Absolutely horrible. But how does KBB know. This is just as bad as any Hyundai Product ever made!

http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/hyundai/sonata/2011/resale-value

By the way I have no problem with your numbers. They are right in line with real world figures. :trophy:

I like the way Alex is looking at it. These Hyundai Cars still are disposable.

·
Registered
678 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Apr 21 2010, 12:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315165
Yes I was looking for a link. Absolutely horrible. But how does KBB know. This is just as bad as any Hyundai Product ever made!

http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/hyundai/sonata/2011/resale-value

By the way I have no problem with your numbers. They are right in line with real world figures. :trophy:

I like the way Alex is looking at it. These Hyundai Cars still are disposable.
Those are projections. If you look at the statement KBB included, the projections are based on current market value, and other factors so they may go up or down. I am by no means hating on the sonata. I love the car and will be buying soon myself. Unfortunately that is what the current projection of its resale value for the car and we have to face that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts