Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you think about the resale value of Hyundai, overall? I purchased a '16 Elantra two years ago and trade-in value of that vehicle recently was actually less than 50% of the MSRP, after only 12k miles on it. Of course I didn't purchase it at the MSRP but that makes me think. For example if we lease a vehicle typical residual value after 3 years/36k miles is 49-57% depending on trim and brand. Technically that should be the resale (trade-in) value after three years of normal use. Obviously Elantra didn't hold up to that at all. How about SFS?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
On a lease the residual value is almost always higher than the sale or trade-in value would be.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
if you want a new car bad, then trade in is gonna be low. if you are like us, and out of the blue the dealership where you last bought a car is desperate, and calls you out of the blue, then the trade in will be higher. but it will never be as high as those bogus blue, black, white, green, or whatever books say. also, all owners think their car is in showroom condition. trade in adjusters all say your car is just above junk status. somewhere in between will be actual trade in value, NEVER what you expect.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Trade-in's are for people that want to avoid the hassle of selling their used cars.
It is also a way for the dealer to muddy the deal, to add to their profit.
Dealer will never give you a truly good trade-in price, only wholesale if you are good negotiator.
The Kelley blue book is not a price bible, but it will give a baseline, as opposed to gut-feel.
A lot of things come in play, desirability/options/mileage/condition...
For example, I had a 10 year old Corolla I thought about as trade-in.
Wholesale 3000us$, local market dealer asking about 5000, so one can sell on his own somewhere in between.
So I kept it, as a beater/hauler and to tow a little trailer, which the new Sonata's warranty won't allow.
It depends a lot on the car, if you have a desirable car for your region, you can sell it quick.
My friend sold a 93 Supra TT for 25K$ 3 years ago. A Matrix will sell faster than a Vibe, even if they are twins.
A better way to find the real worth of your car is to scan the Craigslist and other on-line adverts.
Track the same model, year, trim, mileage and condition.
See what price sells and what sits. Do that for a couple of months you will know.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
782 Posts
For resale, it's hard to generalize a brand. Resale prices are heavily influenced by the brand AND model, in addition to the location you are at.

One make/model in New York may be thousands less than Colorado, for example.

There could be a model that's more problematic than others and its resale will be crap. Like my 2005 Equinox with multiple head gasket failures.
So I traded it in, knowing that I'd have a devil of a time trying to sell it third party, plus anyone who looked at all the repair records would be like, "no way".

·
Registered
142 Posts
People go into a dealership or used car lot anywhere in the US and ask for the best deal they can get. Nothing wrong with that. I do it to. They will want the rebate and any other discounts that the dealer can give them. They are out to save money on the new car. Then they do the most stupid mistake, " I HAVE A TRADE IN". All dealers large and small will mark the trade vehicle up $3,000.00 to $4,000.00 when they put your trade in on the lot. I have worked for a dealer for the past 45 plus years. I have seen it all. Yes I know what the dealer is going to say. We have advertising a salesman to pay and some repair to do to the vehicle, plus reconditioning. But what you don't know is the expense for reconditioning and repair tires and so on is taken off the appraisal before they give you the trade in price. The real wise buyer will go to places like CARMAX or other car lots and the internet to get the real used car value before they set foot on the new car lot. Be wise and sell your car yourself. You may not make 3 of 4 thousand more, but you will probably make 1,500.00 to 2,000.00 more for a little work. It is your money do not give it away. If you owe on your vehicle or you have some special vehicle that would be hard to sell you may have to take the hit and trade it in. Most of all be informed before you step on the lot. Don't be afraid to shop around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts