Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to install a secondary horn on my Sonata, and I want it to be switchable from the dashboard. Eg I press the steering wheel, it honks either the stock horn or my installed air horns depending on which way the switch is set. That way I can have 'serious' airhorns for the highway and the little stock tooter (the Hyundai 'improved' version) for when I am in town.

question - how to wire and mount the switch.
Option 1
I could easily drill a hole and mount a switch in the plate that covers the fuses just below the trunk/gas release buttons. This would minimize alterations to the car since that plate is probably cheap to replace. And the wires are right there, I would assume that I can somehow get wires to there from under the hood where I would locate my relay to switch which horn gets activated.

Option 2
Now... $64,000 question for the car experts... it would be amazing if I could repurpose that Active Eco button so that it switches my horns. I see myself switching horns a lot more often than turning Active Eco on and off (what does that do anyway??) Do you guys think I could repurpose that button for switching horns without voiding the warranty? Maybe would it have an easily-accessible plug that I could pull out and connect to my switching relay? How would I get access to the back of that little button panel?

any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
330 Posts
wow.. get rid of active eco? i wish i had that instead of "fake eco".. thats what i get for being an early adopter i guess.

Anyway, i think its best to stick with one airhorn. theres really no need to care about using a "tooter" since the point of a horn is to get attention, not to keep peace and quiet in the neighborhood

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would not get rid of that switch altogether, probably move it to the fuse box on the lower dash.

What does that button do anyway?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Wiring a switch to toggle power from one horn to another isnt that hard. You would just need a simple SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) relay. You can buy these at any electronics store, or online for a couple bucks.

Using this relay, you would wire Pin 85 to any 12v power source in your car, and pin 86 to a toggle switch inside the car. Pin 30 would be the power from the battery to your horns. (You could even use the stock wriing for this). Finally, Pins 87 and 87a would go to the new horn and the stock horn respectively.

How this would work is when the switch is in the "off" position, the relay is in its "dormant" position, passing electricity from Pin 30 to Pin 87a allowing the stock horn to work as normal. When you activate your switch, power goes through Pins 85 and 86 which "activates" the relay switching power from 87a to 87 this sending power to the new horns.

If youve never worked with a relay before, its super simple. The pins are almost always labeled on the relay itself. You just need to get some electrical connectors and do the wiring yourself.

As for using the Active Eco button to do this...you could do it, but only if you could figure out the wiring of the car to figure out if enabling that button activated some circuit that you could get power from.

Relays dont actually care what you use to activate them, as long as you have switched 12v power going through pins 85 and 86.

Hopefully this helps, if you have any other questions, let me know.

·
Registered
330 Posts
QUOTE (freddieT @ Nov 11 2010, 06:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370776
I would not get rid of that switch altogether, probably move it to the fuse box on the lower dash.

What does that button do anyway?
Dont quote me on this, but it makes your car more fuel efficient from what ive gathered on this forum, lower gear shifts, lighter acceleration...etc etc
Since I got my Sonata in early August, I dont have that button, instead i can turn "eco driving" on and off in the trip computer which is basically just an indicator that tells me when im driving economically (under 7L/100km) instead of actually doing anything, hence yours is "active eco".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts