Hyundai Forums banner

Reproducing a problem

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  purple weiner 
#1 ·
Maybe a mechanic can answer this.

If a customer fully describes a problem, why does a mechanic only attempt to solve it if he can reproduce the problem?

Specifically - I had a car in which the radio would randomly emit a loud squawk and stop playing. All the station would reset to blank. After this, it would immediately restart playing, although I would have to reset the presets.

Thinking a fuse was loose I checked that and it was good so it was obviously a loose connection somewhere so I took it to the dealer.

The problem was that the mechanic couldn't reproduce the event, even after keeping and driving the car overnight. Since he couldn't reproduce it, he didn't attempt a fix.

My basic question is that if a problem that comes and goes can be fully 100% explained, but not reproduced on purpose, what knowledge would the mechanic gain if the problem happened when he was driving?

#2 ·
what knowledge would the mechanic gain if the problem happened when he was driving?
None, since he can't really diagnose the cause while he's driving.
Dealership mechanics don't like dealing with intermittent faults because they don't make any bonu$ off those jobs. Plus, it's an electrical issue. Being mechanics, they don't like having to deal with electrics either.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

#3 ·
If a customer fully describes a problem, why does a mechanic only attempt to solve it if he can reproduce the problem?
Most mechanics don't assume the customer has the technical knowledge and experience the properly diagnose the problem.
And if the customer has those chops (musical term) then why doesn't he fix it his/her self?

it was obviously a loose connection somewhere .... if a problem that comes and goes can be fully 100% explained
First, don't assume it's simply a loose connection. Occam's razor doesn't always apply.
Second, if it is a loose connection, broken wire, etc. it could be in a lot of different places.
So all the trouble shooter can do is a visual inspection of the relevant wiring, tug and wiggle wires to trigger the problem.
Measurements with a multimeter are only useful while the problem is occurring.

#4 ·
Knowing some electronics, many intermittent's are solder-wave faults. If you have the patience and the chops (meat-cutting term) you can find them. No one would have the time but the owner (or someone who loves them).

#5 ·
Assuming the technical advisor is honest, it is a good question. The way you describe the fault, it is clear it is a distinct and annoying fault with the radio. From a troubleshooting point of view, I would start with verifying the radio connectors however this requires radio removal which also requires dash trim removal so perhaps a 1h job. Next it would probably be a matter of radio electronics = radio unit replacement. But the question is why not believing the customer if Hyundai can't reproduce the issue. I see this as a limitation of these technical advisors. Maybe they are honest and care, but they are not machines, they are human. There may be a part of doubt as in "if I can't see it with my own eyes I won't believe it". Unfortunate.

#6 ·
Still doesn't quite answer the question. Let's say the problem is described 100% fully and the mechanic drives the car around for a while with everything working normally. He's driving normally, not pushing the car, no hard turns or braking, no bumps or potholes when suddenly the problem arises. What does the mechanic deduce from the problem arising with no input from him? How does his viewing the problem first hand differ from the complete description from the owner?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.