Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read some impressive numbers want to see what your real time mileage is. Detail city/highway mix, if possible what you get just doing around the city?

I'm surprised there is not a Hyundai police package car. I mean, compare 0-60 1/4 miles and top speeds to a Crown Vic. Then compare fuel mileage, and see which one holds up longer. I believe the Sonata is made in America now. They have it over seas, why not here. Departments could save a bunch over gas guzzling V8's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 7 2010, 12:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320476
No they still come from the Factory in Japan :innocent:
Doesn't matter where they are made, the profits go to South Korea, where as with Ford they stay right here. Hundreds of cars have come and gone that could've made better cop cars, but I doubt the government would ever award that contract to a foreign company. It's so matter-of-fact, people generally don't even discuss it anymore really.

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (CitizenChan @ May 7 2010, 12:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320490
Doesn't matter where they are made, the profits go to South Korea, where as with Ford they stay right here. Hundreds of cars have come and gone that could've made better cop cars, but I doubt the government would ever award that contract to a foreign company. It's so matter-of-fact, people generally don't even discuss it anymore really.
The Sonata would make a good intercity cruiser but does not handle well at speeds above 80 mph and above 120 mph things get real sensitive to steering wheel input. I actually had to back off when trying to find out where the governor cutoff was set at 121 because the car felt like it could veer in either lane should a crosswind occur. I am sure new alignment specs will be discovered that work better than what is currently used.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Same here^^^ Before my strut bar, i felt uncomfortable above 80, and after the strut bar it was ok up to about 105, it really stabilizes the car. But there is NO WAY i would feel comfortable going any faster in this car. Although car and driver claims the limiter was tested and it's set at 130 mph, in case you wanted to know

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (Lilalleykatt @ May 7 2010, 04:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320522
The Sonata would make a good intercity cruiser but does not handle well at speeds above 80 mph and above 120 mph things get real sensitive to steering wheel input. I actually had to back off when trying to find out where the governor cutoff was set at 121 because the car felt like it could veer in either lane should a crosswind occur. I am sure new alignment specs will be discovered that work better than what is currently used.
There is no 121 MPH Governor on 2006/2007 Models. Everyone knows even the I4 can do 121. Were you talking about an I 4 Cop Car?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Due to politics, no dept is likely to field a fleet of anything other than Dodge, Ford or Chevrolet. Police are notorious haters of anything FWD. Wait till the cop-spec Taurus drops, depts are gonna jump off their Impalas faster than a truck full of drunken illegals getting pulled over by Border Patrol in Arizona. The mechanics have some sway, some department garages have decades of experience on Chevys and thats worth something. But nowadays more and more departments are shopping their maintenance and repairs out to local garages, and those garages have no say in fleet purhcasing.

Basically, its a great car at a great price, but for a number of reasons you will never see a Hyundai fleet police vehicle in the states.

Let me add: I can easily see some countries in the east picking this up as a police cruiser, and I can't wait. Hopefully Hyundai will develop a nice police-sonata or optima with cop alternator, cop radiator, cop shocks, and cop motor, all easily swapped into a stock SE. :grin:

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (mostholycerebus @ May 7 2010, 02:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320629
Due to politics, no dept is likely to field a fleet of anything other than Dodge, Ford or Chevrolet. Police are notorious haters of anything FWD. Wait till the cop-spec Taurus drops, depts are gonna jump off their Impalas faster than a truck full of drunken illegals getting pulled over by Border Patrol in Arizona.
This is a little confusing. Isn't the Taurus FWD? Or is the police spec AWD?

BTW, have you seen this?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2009....police.car.cnn

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (grcguy @ May 7 2010, 05:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320704
"No they still come from the Factory in Japan :innocent:"

They are made in Alabama!
Like there is a Factory in Japan. Of course how many Sonata Police Cars have come from Alabama?? :innocent:

Here's something I did not know! :thumbsup:
Hyundai in Japan
Despite having growing sales worldwide, Hyundai struggled in Japan, having sold only 15,000 passenger cars from 2001 to 2009. Following an announcement on November 2009, Hyundai pulled their passenger car division out of the Japanese market and focused on their commercial vehicle division instead

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 7 2010, 11:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320574
There is no 121 MPH Governor on 2006/2007 Models. Everyone knows even the I4 can do 121. Were you talking about an I 4 Cop Car?
I like knowing my cars capabilities and became scared above 120mph because the Sonata does not instill a sense of confidence above 110 mph. The slightest cross wind and you need 2 lanes to keep it pointed in the direction of travel.I lived in Germany for years and have alot of experiance on the autobahn at speeds well over 140mph. The Sonata engine feels strong to bad it does not have matching road manners.Maybe altering the factory alignment specs will improve this without increasing tire wear.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
I have seen Sonata Videos, especially with the V6, and they do not bounce all over the Road. In fact the Sonata is

amazing at high speeds. One of the reasons the Police car question came up. I too once took the Sonata up to 125MPH

on the Freeway, and aside from being scared, I noticed the Car handled great. Perhaps a Wheel Weight fell off on your unit?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts