Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Santa Fe 2.7L AWD. I am replacing the valve cover gaskets. In addition to plugs, is there anything else I should replace while I'm there? No issues at this point, just trying to be preemptive while I've got the manifold off...

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
2002 Santa Fe 2.7L AWD. I am replacing the valve cover gaskets. In addition to plugs, is there anything else I should replace while I'm there? No issues at this point, just trying to be preemptive while I've got the manifold off...
How many miles? Over 125k I'd replace the wires while I was in there. I'd also go to iridium plugs while I was doing it. BTW, here is a good spark plug guide for your 2.7 if you haven't seen it:
http://www.santafemods.com/Mods/SparkPlugReplacement.htm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
170,000 miles, and thanks for the feedback. Will replace the wires and plugs. Any sensors down there to look at?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
nope, never replace sensors or other parts under regular maintenance. its completely unnecessary - replace them when they fail if they ever do.

only replace 'wearable items' regularly. the plugs and wires fall under that category along with things like the timing belt, filters and fluid changes.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
170,000 miles, and thanks for the feedback. Will replace the wires and plugs. Any sensors down there to look at?
Actually there is one to look at. If you have never replaced your CPS(crankshaft position sensor) in the 170k miles, I'd think about replacing it. At the very least take a look at the wiring and see if the outside housing for the wiring has fallen off and if so if the insulation for the individual wires has deteriorated. The sensor is located just above the starter. If you take off the starter shield, you should be able to reach up above it and feel to see if the sensor wires are going bad. This sensor when it goes bad has the potential to strand you wherever you may be.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
unless that sensor is known that it WILL go, that is a terrible idea. there are dozens of parts in the car that can fail and strand you. with that kind of maintenance you might as well be buying a new car every year or two.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
unless that sensor is known that it WILL go, that is a terrible idea. there are dozens of parts in the car that can fail and strand you. with that kind of maintenance you might as well be buying a new car every year or two.
Ever taken a good look at the pictures of a bad CPS on this forum- where the three wires are bare for up to four inches?
Normally I would agree with you, but this is a known problem on this car with multiple part failures with pictures to boot. I fought mine(before I figured out what it was by a post on this forum) for over three years and it gave me anxiety every time it acted up. As SBR711 has stated many times on this forum, the CPS has become(and I quote) "a maintenance item".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts