Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured i would save a few bucks and replace this gasket that seems to be leaking oil. Looks simple enough, is there anything i should do or know before taking on this job? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. It's a 2002 Accent GS 1.5L

thanks.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
nah this is a simple job if you've worked on cars before. there's really nothing special to tell you about it. minimal parts removal, nothing in your way.

you can always coat the new gasket with some RTV silicone if you want to get really fancy....if.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i removed the bolts and noticed there is a hose that has a nut type configuration that is on the side towards the windshield. Do i unscrew that? or does it pop off? just curious.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Easiest thing I did was take off the 4 bolts at the throttle body, remove the throttle body, and pull straight up on the valve cover

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don't rip the throttle body gasket though. it's a paper one.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Don't rip the throttle body gasket though. it's a paper one.
if you do, RTV silicone.

don't be afraid to remove things in your way. just take note of how and where they go. if you're patricularly forgetful (like me) and lacking a bit of experience, use a digital camera as you work. write stuff down.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I don't know the torque spec for that car, but they are typically 8 - 10 ft/lbs. That's barely more than hand tight. Best to get the spec and tighten evenly in steps - not one all the way first.

Great tendency to over tighten.

RTV is not needed unless specifically called for.

Use quality gasket - OEM, FelPro, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts