Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, rather than hope someone picks up a follow-up question on my thread about breaking the crank bolt loose, I am starting another thread specifically about this.

I bought a timing belt kit; belt, camshaft idler and tensioner. The belt and idler are straight forward installs. However, I can see, and have read on here from other's misfortunes, that the tensioner bearing, and more specifically, the spring, is going to be a royal pain in the #&&.

So, I'm looking for tips, ideas, experiences in how to replace the tensioner assembly without having to wrestle this spring. Is there anyway to bind it so that it doesn't unwind when I take the assembly off the motor? Is there a trick that makes it easier to re-tension it when it goes back on? Should I just leave the old one there at 155K miles and hope for the best?? :eek:

Trying to finish this car up in the next 4 days and test drive it a few hundred miles before it leaves the state in the hands of an 18-year old. :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
86 Posts
i think there was a thread about this before. i am not too sure where it is though
might have to do some searching. and from what i remember, they gave some pretty good advice

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rumors are not true

That was entirely too easy once I thought about it while looking at it. Took me maybe 5 minutes, tops.

Remove the old assembly, tensioning bolt (the one in the slot) first, then the mounting bolt (the one holding the spring/spacer. It will probably pop out and come apart. No biggie.

Put old spacer and spring on new assembly. Set in back in place with the end of the spring on the correct side of the body tab. Start bolt. Using a small pry bar move the top end of the spring to the correct side of the tensioner's tab. Fasten the bolt down and then back out a turn to let you move the assembly.

Prying on the tensioner plate against the crank gear, move it enough to start the tensioning bolt in the slot. Secure the bolt enough to not pop out and finish the timing belt job.

I did it all from the wheel well side of things. I have pictures. Right now I'm heading back into the garage to change out the water pump before putting it all back together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts