Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My tie rods need to be replaced, I got a quote to have it done and the cost is $520. I've looked into it and if I did it myself it would cost around $150. Also, both of these costs include an alignment. I have looked at some youtube videos and read instructions and I don't think it will be too hard. Any one have experience with this? The quote I got is to change the inner tie rod and outer. Is it standard to replace the entire tie rod like that or does it just depend on the condition of the componants? My car is a 2002 Accent with around 140k miles.

·
Registered
622 Posts
My tie rods need to be replaced, I got a quote to have it done and the cost is $520. I've looked into it and if I did it myself it would cost around $150. Also, both of these costs include an alignment. I have looked at some youtube videos and read instructions and I don't think it will be too hard. Any one have experience with this? The quote I got is to change the inner tie rod and outer. Is it standard to replace the entire tie rod like that or does it just depend on the condition of the componants? My car is a 2002 Accent with around 140k miles.
For what reason do the tie rods need to be changed? Worn out/clunky? Someone just say they needed to be changed? Why inner?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took my car in because of a flat tire and they said they noticed that the tie rods were worn. I haven't checked them myself yet.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I took my car in because of a flat tire and they said they noticed that the tie rods were worn. I haven't checked them myself yet.
Ah, I see. You may wanna take a gander at them and see for yourself. It's possible the rubber on the outer ends have split and leaked grease, or there could be excessive play. $520 seems pretty **** pricey though. May wanna get a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I think tomorrow I will raise the front end off the ground and check the play in the tires and see if I can tell what is worn. That is if it isn't snowing. $520 seems outrageous for the job, they also said the struts need to be replaced, another $600 job or so. I asked what was wrong with the struts because I replaced them last May. He checked with the person who inspected it and said nevermind. Based on the mileage they assumed the struts were original and that they would probably be bad and need to be replaced. So I wouldn't be surprised if the tie rods are fine.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yeah I think tomorrow I will raise the front end off the ground and check the play in the tires and see if I can tell what is worn. That is if it isn't snowing. $520 seems outrageous for the job, they also said the struts need to be replaced, another $600 job or so. I asked what was wrong with the struts because I replaced them last May. He checked with the person who inspected it and said nevermind. Based on the mileage they assumed the struts were original and that they would probably be bad and need to be replaced. So I wouldn't be surprised if the tie rods are fine.
They said nevermind after you questioned why????? NEVER, EVER, return to that place!!! They have no business working on vehicles. Save your dough.

·
Registered
283 Posts
i agree with carmine
+1

Run away from there

Outer ones are easy to change,

and I've done a inner before, it took a little more time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts