Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to summarise the problem i've been having is that after driving the car then leaving it for an hour or so, the car doesn't start.
it will turn over but then not start which means i have ruled out the the starter motor.
It works perfectly once jump started which suggests it isnt the coils
I have just replaced the fuel filter and the pump is working
Spark plugs, ht leads, oil filter and air filter are about 6 /7 months old and in good condition
Battery is 3 months old

Which doesn't leave much simple stuff so I eventually gave up and took my car to hyundai for diagnostics.
They told me it was my crankshaft position sensor which is the problem and they wanted £130 to replace it.
I dont have that kind of money so would like to do it myself apart from, I dont know where it is and am not sure what it looks like exactly.

Has anyone here replaced one before? where is it located? and hows it done?

Cheers

Martin

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Not sure about the 1.3, but the 1.5 from the period shows the crank position sensor on the engine block near the transmission. It's just a little sensor thingy with one bold holding it in. Just unhook the wiring harness. Don't forget the little rubber gasket. You can find it on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96-97-98...sQ5fAccessories

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot.

Please excuse my stupidity but is that diagram a view from above or below the engine?
and is that thing on the right hand side the timing belt?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
The diagram view is looking at the engine bay from the top toward the rear. This engine has been disconnected from the transmission for ease of view. The object in the upper left hand corner is the heat shield for the exhaust manifold. The diagram shows that this sensor has already been unbolted and that the mechanic has also disconnected the bracket which holds the wiring harness connector (you won't be removing this bracket.) The hole for the sensor, along with the bolt hole is also visible in the diagram.

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (MrW @ Jan 10 2010, 02:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=289644
Just to summarise the problem i've been having is that after driving the car then leaving it for an hour or so, the car doesn't start.
it will turn over but then not start which means i have ruled out the the starter motor.
It works perfectly once jump started which suggests it isnt the coils
I have just replaced the fuel filter and the pump is working
Spark plugs, ht leads, oil filter and air filter are about 6 /7 months old and in good condition
Battery is 3 months old

Which doesn't leave much simple stuff so I eventually gave up and took my car to hyundai for diagnostics.
They told me it was my crankshaft position sensor which is the problem and they wanted £130 to replace it.
I dont have that kind of money so would like to do it myself apart from, I dont know where it is and am not sure what it looks like exactly.

Has anyone here replaced one before? where is it located? and hows it done?

Cheers

Martin
I had this problem as well, it was getting to the point where I couldn't start my car 3 or 4 times a week. Once I finally learned that the crank position sensor was the issue I took a look at it and found that it was pretty dirty. I cleaned it off with some contact cleaner about 5 months ago and the failure to start has not happened once. You might want to try cleaning it before going out and replacing it... I didn't have to disconnect anything either... just pulled the rubber back a bit and sprayed all around.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I did one on a 2001 Santa Fe 2.7L V6. My OBD II reader showed the code for it. It was in a almost inaccessible spot making removal/installation a pain. I think I ran out of cuss words.

From what I had read, it's not necessarily the sensor that goes bad, rather the short wire harness gets constant engine heat and the insulation breaks down. Regardless, if that's the code, change it or it might leave you stuck far from home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I Change the fuel pump relay with the horn relay under the hood, this cured the issue for me, pump is spinning when key is turned on, thanks for the info, great site here as well, lot's of info

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I have a '03 accent, bought it brand new & the car still runs great, but there is an issue which started in '06, every summer the car stalls which being driven, it has no issues on cold start, not does it have any other running issues, it runs well all year round, but just during summer the car stalls while in use. It stutters and stops, in the first years this would occur like once or twice a month, the car would stall & I wud have to wait for about half an hr before cranking it up again, & the car would run normal again. But now the problem has aggravated, it still happens only in summer though, but instead of once/twice a month, it happens like 3 times a week & the time it takes to start back up has increased too, could you guys help me out here ? Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is just a wild guess since this issue has never happened to me, but I would think it has to do with the fuel pump and fuel vapors. Maybe during the hot summers enough vapor builds up that it evaporates before reaching the engine. It's possible over the years, the fuel pump has been straining to get fuel through it and as a result it's slowly beginning to fail. Take this is a complete guess though. I wouldn't quite know how to diagnose if that's the problem or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
help

I have had a misfire in cylinders 2 and 3 so I changed spark plugs wires and coils still had no luck started backfiring and still had no power changed camshaft positioning sensor and crankshaft sensor it help until test drive engine light flashing again no wont start I can smell gas and spark plugs 1 2 3 are wet what do I do next light it on fire and give up ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts