Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual says to take the intake manifold off to replace the starter. Obviously this is a lot of work. I saw a few videos around of people replacing from the bottom. There were none that I could find on the sante fe DM so I'm posting this thread. I have no videos or photos but can give a pretty simple discussion.

There is a vacuum pump for the power brakes mounted by 2 bolts. Has one hose and one electrical connector attached. very easy to remove and this is your primary access. The top starter bolt is totally hidden. you'll have to work blind. If you have large hands, this may be a problem. I am pretty thin. Once you get the bolts broken loose, they are easier to back out with a 1/4" ratchet. they are 14mm. I couldn't get my fingers on them to spin them out.

Once you get the bolts out and the starter is loose, it will be captured behind the coolant lines to the oil cooler. If your coolant needs changing, now would be a good time. then you can disconnect these two lines. Otherwise you wrestle it around to take the positive battery cable off and unplug one connector, then slip it out.

Replace in opposite order. I got it done in about 2 hours.

--Jerry

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t Turbo
2 Posts
The manual says to take the intake manifold off to replace the starter. Obviously this is a lot of work. I saw a few videos around of people replacing from the bottom. There were none that I could find on the sante fe DM so I'm posting this thread. I have no videos or photos but can give a pretty simple discussion.

There is a vacuum pump for the power brakes mounted by 2 bolts. Has one hose and one electrical connector attached. very easy to remove and this is your primary access. The top starter bolt is totally hidden. you'll have to work blind. If you have large hands, this may be a problem. I am pretty thin. Once you get the bolts broken loose, they are easier to back out with a 1/4" ratchet. they are 14mm. I couldn't get my fingers on them to spin them out.

Once you get the bolts out and the starter is loose, it will be captured behind the coolant lines to the oil cooler. If your coolant needs changing, now would be a good time. then you can disconnect these two lines. Otherwise you wrestle it around to take the positive battery cable off and unplug one connector, then slip it out.

Replace in opposite order. I got it done in about 2 hours.

--Jerry

Hey Jerry,

Regarding the vacuum pump for the power brakes: to clarify, you took off the two bolts, disconnected the hose and electrical connector and removed the entire pump, just didn't move it out of the way. I don't know how a vacuum pump works. Is there anything I need to know or just re-install and my brakes should be fine?

Did you also have to remove the 4- 12mm bolts for the black bracket and a bolt for the 2 coolant hoses.

I had my wife's 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t on jack stands, but didn't know what to do with vacuum pump so I put everything back together. It's a challenge working on your back.

Thank you,
Michael

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Michael,
Yes, I took the pump off and sat it out of the way. I looked it up and it is like $400 to replace to I was very careful with it.

And no, I just pushed the coolant lines around and worked past them.

Good luck,
Jerry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts