Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 37,000 miles on my '07 Santa Fe and my brakes are going to need to be replaced soon. I am not too fond of the stock brakes on the vehicle and was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what I should replace them with. The biggest concern is to address the ability to stop quickly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
When you say replacement, what exactly do you mean? Pads, discs /rotors, callipers, all of the above? Upgrading the discs / rotors and pads might be all you need to do.

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you live anywhere in a rust-belt climate, a necessity (on the 2007-2009's at least) is to remove the rear brake pads and clean their mounting surfaces and to carefully remove, clean and re-grease the caliper slide pins. Not doing so will result in very short rear brake life. I'd be willing to bet this is the majority of your issue. The rears are shot and you've got poor braking performance.

I've found this to not only be an issue for the Santa Fe, but ANY rear disk brake vehicle I've ever owned. Honestly for my usage, I'd rather have drums in the back.

If I'm replacing brakes myself, I buy premium pad kits and the least expensive rotors/drums the store has.

Joel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is going to be the rear that will need it. That was what Hyundai indicated was going to need replacing. Will any brake shop do what you were describing above?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Santa Fe @ Dec 22 2010, 11:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382431
It is going to be the rear that will need it. That was what Hyundai indicated was going to need replacing. Will any brake shop do what you were describing above?
You bet. Just make sure that they lube the pins and really clean off the crap under the pads - using a rotary wire brush if need be. You want good clearance so things can move around as they should.

·
Registered
947 Posts
QUOTE (Santa Fe @ Dec 22 2010, 02:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382431
Will any brake shop do what you were describing above?

They sure will. I got lazy and took mine in some months ago for this. The "quick lane" service dept at my local Hyundai dealer did it for me along with a tire rotation for ~$75. The Tech even brought me over to see everything. Think about it this way, if/when you go in for yearly inspection, have them do this along with a tire rotation.

Joel

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used Wagner Premium Ceramic pads from Advance Auto Parts when I replaced my front brakes on my 07 Santa Fe about 2 months ago (45,000 miles). They work like a charm: great stopping, smooth touch, and leave nearly no brake dust on the wheels. Plan on using the same pad when I replace the rear brakes soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your help. I feel much more informed. We checked both front and rear brakes and yes, the rear pads need replacing. I found it interesting that the fronts have double the amount of pad left in comparison to the back considering it is a FWD vehicle and most of the weight is in the front.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Santa Fe @ Dec 27 2010, 06:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=383886
Thank you all for your help. I feel much more informed. We checked both front and rear brakes and yes, the rear pads need replacing. I found it interesting that the fronts have double the amount of pad left in comparison to the back considering it is a FWD vehicle and most of the weight is in the front.
You may have already succumbed to the "rear brake crud" syndrome we warned you about above. Indeed, the rears should never need to be replaced before the fronts. Fortunately, it sounds like you caught it before you needed rotors to go along with those new pads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts