Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All - I recently crunched my RH side mirror while backing out of my garage; unfortunately I was still in the arms of Morpheus and didn't notice how close I was. The body-colored outer shell and the black plastic mounting plate (shaped like a sail) on the door were damaged, as well as the mirror itself. The mirror still works though but I'm probably going to replace the whole thing with an aftermarket or salvage part. If at all possible I'd like to try to do the swapout myself.

How difficult is it to access the mounting features of the mirror assy? I would like to be able to remove the inside cover (which has the tweeter) and do it that way. If feasible I'd prefer not to take off the inner door panel; the black piece should just snap out on its own. Has anyone done this on their Sonata that can give me some tips of what to do (or not to do)? I'm already getting quotes from salvage yards for used or aftermarket replacement parts. If it's too complicated I'll probably just get the part and ask a collision shop to do the repair.

Thanks,
-Raj
:liebe011:

Attachments

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Happened to me to. I thought the Mirror was on the outside, and the tweeter is on the inside? Check out other Posts

here about the Side Mirror. I would provide all our other Links, but I stopped doing that as of today :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
You don't need to remove the door panel. You just have to pop off the sail that holds the tweeter. Unclip the wires going to the tweeter and you'll see 3 10mm (?) bolts. Remove them and you'll be able to remove the mirror assembly and unclip the wires going to the mirror. Easy-peasy; if you can handle a screwdriver you can do it yourself.

I like your style; replace a used part with a used part and save some money! Check eBay too!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Dennis the Mennis @ Apr 25 2010, 05:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316728
You don't need to remove the door panel. You just have to pop off the sail that holds the tweeter. Unclip the wires going to the tweeter and you'll see 3 10mm (?) bolts. Remove them and you'll be able to remove the mirror assembly and unclip the wires going to the mirror. Easy-peasy; if you can handle a screwdriver you can do it yourself.

I like your style; replace a used part with a used part and save some money! Check eBay too!
Thanks Dennis. That's exactly how it used to be the last time I did it, many years ago on a Honda Accord. I'm already getting quotes through car-part.com, they're around $100 give or take. I checked ebay also but very few to choose from there, mostly unpainted aftermarket parts. I've always tried to do my own repairs whenever possible.

·
Registered
290 Posts
QUOTE (Raj Against The Machine @ Apr 25 2010, 12:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316679
Hello All - I recently crunched my RH side mirror while backing out of my garage
Korean Auto Imports carries a folding replacement set for less than $200, but that includes both the LH and RH mirror. They carry some prepainted vesions, but Deep Water Blue (which is what the photo looks like) isn't one of them. A black or grey one could be custom painted, and you might be looking at that investment anyway. A folding mirror may save you from crunching another one if your parking situation is tight.

I find it puzzling that an US market Optima has folding mirrors, but a Sonata does not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You should be able to take care of this on your own - I actually just ordered a RH side mirror (Mailbox + Narrow Back Road + Passing Car = DOH!) off ebay shipped for like $80 upainted - I've priced it out and unless u can find a junkyard with one in stock for u and cut a deal - I think ebay might be your best bet. The installation should be easy & if you want I'll tell you how to do it when I get mine in the mail. Good Luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your help! I finally got a new aftermarket part from partsgeek.com for about $70. It came unpainted in black ABS substrate. I have yet to install it because I haven't gotten around to getting it painted yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know if this forum is still active, but I have a more specific question in relation to self-replacement and installation. My entire RH mirror was broken off, and the impact seems to have stripped some of the pin connectors from the wiring harness in the door. A few of them remained stuck in the other connector within the mirror assembly. I can get the mirror replacement but I can't find anything on how to replace the wiring harness in the door. Any tips?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts