Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 06 accent GLS has become difficult to start only after refueling, which I'm guessing is related to a bad purge control valve from what I've read. Where exactly is the valve located, and is this something that someone with relatively little automotive repair experience could do on their own? I think I've located it on the backside of the engine near the air intake.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
yes thats it.

before you go replacing it, confirm your theory. this is usually accompanied by an ECU error code (good confirmation) but not always. you can also remove the valve and try applying voltage to the terminals right from the battery. use test leads, use caution, blah blah blah. see if it opens and closes correctly. also, with the valve de-energized it should be closed. put some air from a compressor on it...some clamps and tubing will do well. set your compressor to the LOWEST pressure possible. see if the valve passes air, that would be a good proof.

even simpler, once the car is idling the purge valve should be fluttering open and closed. you can usually hear it....or use a mechanic's stethoscope. finally, check the connectors for corrosion and wiring for any damage.

very easy job to replace, but don't go replacing parts just because you think that's the problem. do the job right and prove it first.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Scan for DTC first, see if anything hiding in PCM memory..

Engine idling, unplug purge solenoid connector, of course from there you'll get an open circuit DTC,, and remove hose from fuel tank side of the valve..... valve should not be leaking vacuum. If it is leaking, replace the valve

With engine still idling, you can plug the connector back to valve, and if PCM is commanding purge, you can hear distinct popping sound as valve duty cycled by PCM..

Dont forget to clear DTC's

1 - 3 of 3 Posts