Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New noise coming from engine compartment '14 SFS 2.0 turbo, 104k miles. Sounds like the power steering pump whine I used to get on my 90's chevy impala when the fluid needed changed. Just like that. Any suggestions of source? Varies with engine RPM, can hear at idle very clearly. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Since its following the engine RPM, I would say probably something with the belt pulley bearings or accessory.

One quick test would be to completly remove the belt and start the engine for a very short time just to see if the noise stop.

If there is no noise without the belt, then it could be one of the idler pulley bearing, the tensionner pulley bearing, or worse the alternator, A/C clutch or water pump.

Try to turn all the pulley by hand to see the one making noise.

If noise still there without the belt, then could be engine internal, or maybe the transmission but I dont think so.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
guys thanks for the replies.. I searched for procedure for pulling belt, couldn't find that specific to SFS 2.0. Have done it on other vehicles. How tough is it on this one, access from above or below easiest? Appreciate it...

·
Registered
182 Posts
You can find a picture of the belt routing in this page : Hyundai Santa Fe: Alternator. Repair procedures - Charging System - Engine Electrical System

No procedure needed, you only have to remove the tension on the belt by turning the tensionner with a long ratchet or wrench (I dont remember wich one).

Dont need a lift.. Remove the passenger wheel, remove the small cover in front of the crancksahft pulley (couples of clips), then you are able to access the belt from down and top so its easy to put it back on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Belt off, no noise... noise seems to be from alternator, can feel/hear it when spinning that pulley by hand.

Wow, that is an expensive part! Dealer quoted $616+tax. Autoz and others $254+core.

AZ said they dont carry bearing replacement parts because people tend to mess up the brushes during reassembly?

Anyone recommend pulling it just to replace bearings? Thx in adv!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Noise coming from an alternator could be the bearings, but could be from the brushes/collector too if they are shot. I would recommend to buy a new/rebuilt alternator, or at least have it professionally rebuilt if there is such shop to do it in your area and your willing to not have a car for a couple of days..

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2014 SFS 2.0.. in process of changing alternator now.. wow it's pretty tight to:
1) remove factory tie wrap looking strain relief for A/C sensor cable
2) lower alt mounting long bolt, will it run into frame before releasing alt to remove?
3) is there enough clearance to pull unit up past cast frame mount and cooling fan?

Anyone have any experience w these issues? stepping back to research a bit before proceeding (beer in the fridge?). thx in adv

·
Registered
182 Posts
According to manual, there is nothing else to remove aside the AC connector

But manual and real-life are often different :)

I never done it on the Santa Fe so I'm not sure if there is such thing on it, but what I have done on previous car when replacing the alternator is to remove the top mounting brackets for the radiator, so it give a little bit more space to work by pushing it away.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Yes that should be enough. Support the engine by using a trolley jack and a flat piece of wood under the sump si I can't drop too far.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got it out by dropping engine wee bit from motor mount, motor mount nuts still threaded on studs so it controlled it to drop just 1/4" or so. The engines hangs from this motor mount so that was helpful in this case. beer break..

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they machined those altenator mounting surfaces so there is no gap, trying to walk it out off the aluminum accessories mounting bracket was tough.. pried and rotated, etc, altenator would only pivot but stay where it was. it seemed to catch, had to thunk it to get to go sideways.. but it's out..

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I think you'll find that at one end is a sliding sleeve that allows the alternator to fit snug. I may be wrong but many are made that way.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah think that sleeve maybe indented tiny bit into machines aluminum of the accessories bracket causing it to catch when it tries to slide sideways..

anyway, mission accomplished no more engine compartment noise, nice and quiet again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts