Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought H7, the correct bulbs, now I just need to put them in. Supposedly, I should be able to lift the metal clip holding in the current bulbs and pop in the new ones no problem. But for some reason, the metal clip holding the bulbs in is screwed in thus making it impossible to lift the clip... all of the Santa Fe headlight replacement videos and guides I've seen have not shown this problem, does anyone have experience with this?

I can't unscrew the screws because there's not enough room for a screw driver to get in. It looks like I'll have to take the whole housing out so I can unscrew the clip, does anyone know what size ratchet the bolts require?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, you need to remove the headlight housing. Remove the three 10mm bolts (two on top and one on the back) then pull out and upish. It takes considerable force to pull the assembly out, but be persistent. Just use care and common sense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you need to remove the headlight housing. Remove the three 10mm bolts (two on top and one on the back) then pull out and upish. It takes considerable force to pull the assembly out, but be persistent. Just use care and common sense.
Thank you. Any idea why the metal clip is screwed it? I thought the whole point of the clip was to make it easier to replace bulbs....

·
Registered
8 Posts
You're at the clip already? You may not need to remove the housing, but the clip is a major PITA because it doesn't come free how it should. I believe it is too pliable. But the clip does not need to be unscrewed, just unclipped. You may find a pair of lineman's or needle nose pliers makes it easier, but with the darn thing in my lap it still took some effort.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're at the clip already? You may not need to remove the housing, but the clip is a major PITA because it doesn't come free how it should. I believe it is too pliable. But the clip does not need to be unscrewed, just unclipped. You may find a pair of lineman's or needle nose pliers makes it easier, but with the darn thing in my lap it still took some effort.
Yeah I can get into the bulb area and pull out the electrics/wires from the bulb, but the clip looked screwed in to me. I tried pulling it basically every possible way and it wouldn't budge. I guess it requires some more force? I'll see if I can get my hands on some pliers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the clips were a little stiffer, it would pop right out. I put HID's in about two weeks ago and, with the cold weather, I pulled the housings out and brought them inside to work on. Still found it difficult to release.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the clips were a little stiffer, it would pop right out. I put HID's in about two weeks ago and, with the cold weather, I pulled the housings out and brought them inside to work on. Still found it difficult to release.
Yeah I'm gonna have to take the housings out. I just had an engineer buddy take a look at it... he accidentally took out one of the high beams and couldn't get it back in, then he dropped the black screw cover that covers the bulb/electrics somewhere down into the car. I'm gonna go to Autozone tomorrow and do the lend a tool thing for a ratchet, and hopefully finally end this series of incredibly stupid events that started with a burned out headlight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, I've had that video open on a tab for a while, just wanted to check here that the 2007 process wasn't different than the 2009. I went to Autozone tonight actually, got a ratchet. The housing did take some force to get out, but it gave and I was able to reinstall the high beam, and install the new headlight bulb no problem, all works. Thanks for your guidance Mark.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Um, I just replaced all 4 bulbs on mine. I did not have to take the housing right out. I simply unscrewed the black cover on the back light bulb entrance, unplugged the socket from the bulb, pushed down, and away for the clip and it opened up. Replaced bulb and put clip back down. It took less then a minute to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Um, I just replaced all 4 bulbs on mine. I did not have to take the housing right out. I simply unscrewed the black cover on the back light bulb entrance, unplugged the socket from the bulb, pushed down, and away for the clip and it opened up. Replaced bulb and put clip back down. It took less then a minute to do.
thats what i did also. much faster!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts