Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it mandatory to replace the fuel pump at the same time as the fuel filter? My sister took her car to Jiffy Lube to do a filter replacement and that's what they told her-- not quite the definitive source I admit.

Is it difficult to do them at the same time, just a good idea, or a waste of money if the pump is working fine?

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Is it mandatory to replace the fuel pump at the same time as the fuel filter?
NO.

However you need a specific answer from someone who knows that exact model because.........

Some filters are not intended to be replaced EXCEPT when the pump is replaced.

Others are inside the tank with the pump and the majority of the cost is just getting TO the pump/filter assembly so once there, you might as well do both.

What engine does it have.......and why are y'all trying to change the filter in the first place ??

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
lol see if they can find the filter first, it will be entertaining.

LC1 (2000-2002 i think) had a fuel filter on the outlet of the pump, top of the gas tank. doesn't really need to be replaced but its a $10 part, knock yourself out. easy job.

now you and me own an LC2 (2003-2005) which is a minor revision. one of the changes was that fuel filter was removed. all we have is a fine wire mesh screen in the tank on the pump inlet.

the strange thing here is hyundai did not update ANY documentation to this change. it is still in the owner's manual, repair manuals, and the part is still listed in shop catalogs .

as far as jiffy lube stating that you need a new pump with the fuel filter (that doesn't exist, wire mesh screen filter is not a maintenance item) they are full of crap on both counts. there is no reason to replace the fuel pump with the filter, they are trying to rip your sister off.

think of it this way: when you change your oil filter with an oil change, do you also replace the oil pump?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Never let a oil change place do heavy service.. They dont have the education that dealer service people have, or the tools to even start the job.

There was an external filter on early models, very easy to DIY, and the later in-tank version in the pump module... more labor intensive to change, mes it up, engine crank and no fire.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
not really no. its just not so likely these days with most pump gas. kind of like getting a 'bad tank' of gas. sure it happens, but its pretty rare.

instead of buying a new screen my approach was to pull the thing out, visually inspect (it was spotless), and then blow some compressed air through it for the **** of it.

tomato, tomatto

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Fuel sock can plug up sometimes, loud pump indicates problem.

Sbr11 indicated there is still a filter around the pump module as well ; I was told by dealer they don't change filter, only sending unit assembly on failure.

It really is a large filter , I've driven Hyundai's beyond 200k miles on the original factory filter without a problem; so they are essentially a life time filter.

Sock is on pump inlet, filter surrounds pump , can be bought for around $18. I have changed them a few times, pay attention to the tiny O rings.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Leave it alone.. fuel dispensers at station have large filters similar to oil filter to filter the fuel before it hit the pump.. cant have anything going through pump that goof anything up.. they start clogging, the pump slows down, and attendant supposed to change it.

If you so inclined to replace fuel filter, but a fuel filter if it available and replace it.. can replace the "sock" if you want to, but that is not the actual filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts