Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - rreitz here with my 98 Hyundai Accent - the one we spent many exchanges on to find the intermittent coil pin connector. Car is running fine now. However a new issue has cropped up - howling front wheel bearing. I'm sure I will have several questions so here is the first. I found a youtube video where someone explained how he replaced his bearings with pretty much hand tools except for one special one to press (well pound) the bearing races in. This video was geared towards 95 - 99 Hyundai Accents with the captive rotor. On the hub he was working on there were two bearings, an inner and outer on each front wheel. When I got my hub off and removed the spline from the knuckle I only have one bearing. So I'm a bit confused - did some 95-99 Accents have two bearings per axle up front where others had one (like mine)? The video is here:

Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, never mind. After digging through the grease there are indeed two bearings, an inner and an outer. I'm just blind!

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
I just got a whole hub with bearing from Rock Auto for the MC Accent. Was much easier and all new parts. Maybe they have earlier models now too.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I finally finished the wheel bearing project and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but I had to buy two special tools from Harbor Freight - the split C wheel bearing puller and the tool to help install the bearing races. All in all it was not too bad a job but a very poor design if you want to just replace the rotor. To replace the rotor you have to separate the hub from the knuckle which is half way there to replacing the bearings. So all in all I spent $70 in the two special tools, another $40 for the bearings and races for both axles, another $30 for both rotors and another $10 - 20 for misc stuff. So approx. $160 for both wheel bearing and new rotors. Better than the $300 - $400 for each wheel from a shop.

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Rock Auto sells the whole hub dust shield and all. Got one for my '08 a couple months ago.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,510 Posts
Captive rotor?
Who made that design??
Anyway, glad you got it fixed

When I changed my rotor on 2001 Elantra, the stuck rotor gave me a hard time.
May have banged it too much and busted the wheel bearing
It was three months later that I had to change it after the rotor

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes - 98 Accent has the captive rotor - captive meaning there is no way of getting the rotor off without (most likely) destroying the wheel bearing in the process. I did one side for now but have the parts for the other side which is probably only a matter of time since that rotor needs to be replaced as well. Aren't old cars fun? :smile2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts