Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the driver's side outside mirror on a '13 Elantra GLS? If it's easy enough, I'd rather do it myself than pay a dealer

·
Registered
952 Posts
What do you need to replace the glass or the whole mirror?

If the glass it should just pry off and push on. Careful pushing so you dont bend the glass and have the new one break going on.

·
22,793 Posts
Quick Q, Ace. Plastic trim tool to remove the mirror? Approach from what end, angle, side...? Pull outward? I really don't relish in the thought of breaking one while attempting to remove it.

The reason I ask: I'm thinking of adding the red or amber chevron LED turn indicators behind the mirrors and tying them in to the LED signal wires already inside the housing. Seems like a simple mod, to me. Besides the fact that I think they are neater than a brand new speckled puppy, I like their safety function for motorists alongside me in adjacent lanes.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Its a lot easier to replace a broken mirror then it is to remove a good mirror. Kinda like a catch 22.

I have not made any attempt to remove the mirror of my Elantra, but im sure its like the 50 Dodge Van mirrors that I have replaced.

On back side of the dodge mirrors there is a circle of 20 little plastic fingers that spread over a swivel ball thing (what makes the mirror move/adjust) Just have to pry it off and evenly but firmly press it back on.

Maybe someone how has replaced a broken mirror or has removed none broken one can chime in.

·
22,793 Posts
Where's Louiceman when we need him? LOL He has done this in his sleep with a variety of mods. I had completely forgotten that. Fact of the matter, it would not surprise me if he hasn't gone and done it again with multiple-colored LED's that blink like Christmas trees when he changes lanes.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Quick Q, Ace. Plastic trim tool to remove the mirror? Approach from what end, angle, side...? Pull outward? I really don't relish in the thought of breaking one while attempting to remove it.

The reason I ask: I'm thinking of adding the red or amber chevron LED turn indicators behind the mirrors and tying them in to the LED signal wires already inside the housing. Seems like a simple mod, to me. Besides the fact that I think they are neater than a brand new speckled puppy, I like their safety function for motorists alongside me in adjacent lanes.
Lucky you Rich. I have the GLS which I believe is not wired for the turn signals. If I could, I'd install those signals you talk about.

·
22,793 Posts
Curtis, not sure you have them on the 2011. I think it became standard equipment on the 2012 intro. I seriously don't think those wires are there. HOWEVER, anyone that can install the sound system you did "back in the day" should be able to run two itty-bitty-teeny-weenie little wires down inside the door, thru the loom, and into the signal array.

There's some threads around here, somewhere, that describe "how to." But, dang, I do vaguely recall it being a bit laborious and time consuming. Not like you have snow or ice to keep you from doing it. Touch of arthritis (and I feel your pain), possibly, but not freezing temps. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Replace side mirror is easy
Pop triangle plastic in side door you will see nuts hold mirror
Unplug mirror connector remove nuts that all
Thanks okierich
I'm working on new carbon fiber project interior & exterior

1 - 9 of 9 Posts