Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Santa Fe with V6 engine. Computer is telling me crankshaft sensor is bad. Can someone tell me exactly where it is and what I have to do to get it out? Thanks

·
Read Only
235 Posts
If it is an 02, it is a 2.7 They sensor is located above the starter. I have changed mine twice over the years, and it's much easier with the starter removed. It's not much work removing it, and the sensor is much easier to see. The sensor goes in at an angle, so don't pull straight back, or you will break it off. Squirt a little lubricant on it, and twist it back and forth to loosen it. Blow out the hole before you stick the new one in. And it wouldn't hurt to lube the case of the sensor a bit so the next time it will come out easier.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I replaced mine without removing the starter. To do so you must have a thin walled 10mm socket ($4.99 socket set). It's a very tight fit for the socket without removing the starter, doable though. I changed mine not because the sensor was defective but the protective coating on the sensor wiring was gone. From what I understand this is the norm on a 2.7.

·
Read Only
235 Posts
Like I said,it's easier with the starter removed, especially if you have not done it before.If you break it off, you will then need to remove the starter anyway. It's about using your head beforehand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts