Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I have very little knowledge on vehicle but I originally had a CEL on that said P0340 camshaft position sensor a circuit bank 1 or single sensor. My mechanic told me get the part and for 70 he'll replace with guarantee it is fixed. So I looked up a video and saw it is a 2 second repair something I should be able to do I get the sensor out and it looks nothing like the part I ordered. So after going to auto zone I realize I removed the crankshaft sensor and I did have the right piece I just accidentally clicked on a crankshaft video because it popped up when typing camshaft and didn't notice. Ok perfect no problem I will put crankshaft back and swap camshaft. So I replace camshaft and put original crankshaft sensor back. Everything should be ok I know it felt like one of the screws was stripped a bit but its still in there decent on the crankshaft sensor its down very tight. When I went to start the vehicle it turns over but doesn't start now. Could I have damaged the crankshaft when pulling it or what would cause the vehicle to not start I feel both pieces are back and connected to their wiring clips now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
SO I have very little knowledge on vehicle but I originally had a CEL on that said P0340 camshaft position sensor a circuit bank 1 or single sensor. My mechanic told me get the part and for 70 he'll replace with guarantee it is fixed. So I looked up a video and saw it is a 2 second repair something I should be able to do I get the sensor out and it looks nothing like the part I ordered. So after going to auto zone I realize I removed the crankshaft sensor and I did have the right piece I just accidentally clicked on a crankshaft video because it popped up when typing camshaft and didn't notice. Ok perfect no problem I will put crankshaft back and swap camshaft. So I replace camshaft and put original crankshaft sensor back. Everything should be ok I know it felt like one of the screws was stripped a bit but its still in there decent on the crankshaft sensor its down very tight. When I went to start the vehicle it turns over but doesn't start now. Could I have damaged the crankshaft [Position Sensor] when pulling it or what would cause the vehicle to not start I feel both pieces are back and connected to their wiring clips now.
Short answer, yes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The sensor has a tolerance distance of 0.001 to 0.006". 58-2 Reluctor ring
Coil resistance of 774-946 ohms at 20 degrees centigrade

I have also included wave forms of both the Crank and Cam position sensors

My guess is this stripped bolt is allowing too large of an air gap and it is not producing enough signal or voltage for the ADC in the ECM to trigger.

First post, sorry if I did something wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
The sensor has a tolerance distance of 0.001 to 0.006". 58-2 Reluctor ring
Coil resistance of 774-946 ohms at 20 degrees centigrade

I have also included wave forms of both the Crank and Cam position sensors

My guess is this stripped bolt is allowing too large of an air gap and it is not producing enough signal or voltage for the ADC in the ECM to trigger.

First post, sorry if I did something wrong.
Is the scope capture of the cam/crank a good running engine? Looks like they are not synced.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is the scope capture of the cam/crank a good running engine? Looks like they are not synced.
I got this through Alldata, it is from Hyundai.
Each engine can have different timing trigger timing.
The only real importance is that the cam trigger occurs during a crank tooth and not in a gap between the teeth.
It has to occur somewhere before phase 1 in the phase 2 section.
4 stroke engine 4 cylinders.
1 and 4 is a set that fire then 2 and 3.
For the ecm to determine whether it is firing cylinders 2 and 3 or 1 and 4 a cam signal is generated just before switching back to phase 1.
Phase 1 is cyl 1 and 4
Phase 2 is cyl 2 and 3
Hopefully i made that understadable.
You dont need a cam sensor to run cop ignition and our cars should run without it but throw codes and run poorly obviously.
The cam sensor allows the ecu to determine phasing so fuel and spark timing can be by cylinder (sequential) and not batch firing and wasted spark ignition.
Batch firing is where the ecu just fires all four injectors or sets.
Wasted spark ignition fires all coils at once at the determined BTDC from the crank signal.
I could go on for hours on this subject but ill leave it at that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts