Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much should this generally cost? I took my car to the dealer for service and they said these things needed to be replaced and the total would be $180. Is that reasonable?

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,796 Posts
OEM coolant should be good for 5 years. The cabin filter should be changed every year. They cost $10-$20 and you can do it yourself without too much trouble.

To flush out the coolant and replace it I would guess most places charge $20 for the coolant and a couple hours labor if they do it right. Some may just drain the radiator and refill but that is not doing it right.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The Flush is $130 here and even auto-parts stores can "Test" the Coolant for its current "Condition"/ need for replacement. Repair Shop X = $ ??? ... A flush gets all of the "old" out and a "drain" wouldn't......

In the '11 Manual the Cabin Filter "How-to-replace" starts on Pg 7-29 and is a 2-minute process (1st learning time a little longer, maybe). The Hyundai filters should be about $22 total although many have posted about $10 alternates. Choose a brand and do it yourself BUT ONLY if examination shows the amount of filter soiling requires it.

You'll often get better-quicker answers when showing your model Year in the Signature. I assume you bought a used-Ltd (early '11?) for Coolant to be suggested. Good luck.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
$180 is what most places up here will charge just for the coolant. Cabin filter will probably run $40 or so installed. So if you got $180 total for both that is a deal.

Unless you want to attempt it yourself, then this is about as good as I have seen.

Just make sure that the coolant used is either Hyundai OEM or something that is HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) and LOW/NO SILICATES. Dealer should be using the Hyundai branded stuff but I would still ask.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
You really only need the HOAT coolant if you do not completely flush the system. If you read your manual it probably says something to the effect of being compatible with aluminum engines. The old fashioned green coolant will meet this spec.

It should be flushed every couple of years but if you do it yourself it's cheap enough. Under $20 for two gallons and some distilled water to mix with it.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
You really only need the HOAT coolant if you do not completely flush the system. If you read your manual it probably says something to the effect of being compatible with aluminum engines. The old fashioned green coolant will meet this spec.

It should be flushed every couple of years but if you do it yourself it's cheap enough. Under $20 for two gallons and some distilled water to mix with it.
Color does not mean anything. Its a dye. Read the ingredients and the concentration of ingredients for compatibility of non-OEM coolant in your system.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
IIRC the HOAT is what prevents etching/buildup in these engines. Prestone (in the yellow jug) does not have this and, while it wont kill the engine, is not the correct coolant for our cars.

Hyundai / Kia MS 591-08 (learned this after doing my own flush and fill) is the coolant spec and they do not publish it in the owners manual for some reason. Only 3 coolants meet it: the OEM branded stuff, Zerex Asian and Beck/Arnley.

The Sled has G05 in it now which is not spec but I like the fact that it is a close match to the OEM and I could get it concentrated for cheap. Plus I like the freeze protection better than the OEM.

Not trying to step on toes or sound smart. Just want to spare the OP any issues down the road.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Also, the OEM coolant is not green.

Its bluish green if you look at it very closely. Not the day-glo green like Prestone.

+1 to Bearcats---color is meaningless. There are many sites that explain why certain manu's went with the colors they have chosen. However, its just a dye and is more for product differentiation than formulation.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
I just used the word green as that is what I have. If it says on the bottle compatible with aluminum engines that is all Hyundai specifies in the Owners Manual.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Dealers think you need every service done under the sun. They make far more money off the guys with greasy hands than the ones with shirts and ties.

No idea how old or how many miles you have, but I do know that engine coolant is one of the most neglected fluids in the world of cars. You'll see people wondering 100 times more about tranny fluid and a million times more about oil before someone thinks of coolant. Only time anyone thinks is when the tank goes empty or they are on the side of the road with steam spraying from under the hood.

People say anywhere from every two years to over 100k miles to change it. Recommendations on it vary so greatly, I base mine off of several factors, including testing it. Don't need a dealer to do it, just a qualified service center. Do make sure the right coolant goes in, though. There are different kinds and they can be problems if you put the wrong kinds in.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Here's what the 2013 Sonata OM says about coolant.

Recommended engine and inverter
coolant
• When adding coolant, use only deionized
water or soft water for your vehicle
and never mix hard water in the
coolant filled at the factory. An improper
coolant mixture can result in serious
malfunction or engine damage.
• The engine in your vehicle has aluminum
engine parts and must be protected by
an ethylene-glycol-based coolant to prevent
corrosion and freezing.