Hyundai Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacing Car Battery

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  hoosieraccent 
#1 ·
Is there any chance of damaging or modifying the ECU while replacing the car battery?

#2 ·
Nope.. The ECU will lose some of it's 'learned' parameters, but they will return after driving for a short wile. You'll need to reset the radio channels too.

Note... It's always a good idea to disconnect the negative battery lead first. If you undo the positive lead first, you could accidentally touch the car body with the wrench while it's in contact with the positive post.. That can generate lots of sparks and burn a chunk out of your wrench (Don't ask me how I know this :) ) .

#4 ·
I change battery with engine running, then no worry about lost parameters or radio stations... but of course I do this stuff everyday.

#8 ·
The altenator and the regulator are designed to sense the battery voltage. If the battery is missing, the altenator goes to "Full field" or maximum output. Its an uncontrolled output from the altenator.

It takes 2 minutes to re-set the radio stations and the clock. Dont be lazy.

#10 ·
except that's not how generators (or alternators in this case, same thing really) work. as electrical load is put into the alternator, the drag to turn becomes greater. more demand, more torque is needed. you cannot set the thing to go full bore output like that. the drag will be proportional to the electrical load. all AC generators are inherently self regulating like this.

in fact, disconnecting the battery such as sbr is doing is a commonly used simply alternator test. without the battery, you are trying to put the highest load possible on the alternator to see if it can keep up the current.

the only problem i see here is sbr is running a high risk of crossing live cables. that could potentially create a short. my recommendation would be to put some sort of plastic protector over the battery cable terminals to prevent this.

#9 ·
Been doing it for 25+/- years.. aint baked 1 yet..

The cars I work on daily use an alternator for supplying vehicle electric when running.. generates AC voltage which is converted to DC voltage via the diode set. ;)

#13 · (Edited)
Does this help?

New Car Memory Maintainer w Battery 35808000 | eBay

the only thing I'm worried about with changing my battery is what should I do to have the car "relearn" its air/fuel parameters so as not to run rough or waste gas.

For my old taurus they said to let the car run idle for 4 minutes, but I've read some cars require you to drive it below 40mph for a few minutes, etc.

My fear of changing the battery while the car running is A) the chance of the positive/negative cable causing a short and B) car is running, therefore the fan is also running and so are the drive belts - I wouldn't want to stick my hand in the engine compartment while its running even if I'm working on the opposite side of those.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Couldnt answer without likely offending somebody, so I myself remove the text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.