Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the brake fluid in my wifes 01 elantra but i've read that cars with ABS require an expensive scan tool. The HMA site doesn't mention anything about it. Is it safe to just do it as HMA says or get a mechanic to do it with the scan tool?

-Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 4 2010, 02:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338787
Yeah, the repair manual says to disable the ABS pump with a Hi-Scan Pro tool so you don't burn up the ABS pump. I have two work-arounds.

Firstly, you could disconnect the battery cable or take out the ABS relay when you do it. This would certainly disable the pump. I never did it, so I can't forecast the outcome.

The way I do it is to simply suck out all the fluid you can with a turkey baster or equivalent and top off. Repeat every week or so until the fluid in the reservoir is clean. This is really simple and easy and fool proof. I also change the power steering this way.
Ok i found it on HMA, don't know how i missd it. I would like to just pull the fuse and get it all done at once, i'm just trying to figure out what might go wrong. anyway....thanks for the quick reply

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.