Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the brake fluid in my wifes 01 elantra but i've read that cars with ABS require an expensive scan tool. The HMA site doesn't mention anything about it. Is it safe to just do it as HMA says or get a mechanic to do it with the scan tool?

-Thanks

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Yeah, the repair manual says to disable the ABS pump with a Hi-Scan Pro tool so you don't burn up the ABS pump. I have two work-arounds.

Firstly, you could disconnect the battery cable or take out the ABS relay when you do it. This would certainly disable the pump. I never did it, so I can't forecast the outcome.

The way I do it is to simply suck out all the fluid you can with a turkey baster or equivalent and top off. Repeat every week or so until the fluid in the reservoir is clean. This is really simple and easy and fool proof. I also change the power steering this way.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Open a front bleed screw, pump pedal till fluid is rather low in the bottle, close it. Open bleed screw on same side at rear, pump pedal till fluid comes down low.

Now fill the brake resevoir with fresh fluid, start at a wheel and have assistant pump pedal till old dirty fluid gets clean-clear.

Fill fluid

Move to another wheel, pump fluid out till clean-clear. Refill fluid, repeat for rest of wheels..

After you have clean oil at all 4 corners, have assisitant pump pedal carefully 2 times and hold, you crack open to aloow fluid to bleed under pressure, do this 3 times at each wheel.. should be all done.

Usually the only time I need scan tool is after replacement of HECU to run the pump to bleed the HECI insides..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 4 2010, 02:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338787
Yeah, the repair manual says to disable the ABS pump with a Hi-Scan Pro tool so you don't burn up the ABS pump. I have two work-arounds.

Firstly, you could disconnect the battery cable or take out the ABS relay when you do it. This would certainly disable the pump. I never did it, so I can't forecast the outcome.

The way I do it is to simply suck out all the fluid you can with a turkey baster or equivalent and top off. Repeat every week or so until the fluid in the reservoir is clean. This is really simple and easy and fool proof. I also change the power steering this way.
Ok i found it on HMA, don't know how i missd it. I would like to just pull the fuse and get it all done at once, i'm just trying to figure out what might go wrong. anyway....thanks for the quick reply

·
Registered
626 Posts
I've never replaced brake fluid for the sake of it on any car I've owned (35 years); never had a problem. I think it's a con to get service revenue up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts