Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone.. firstime here... didn't even know this great FORUM even existed. I'm glad I found it.

Okay so now I need your expertise on fixing my issue. My A/C stopped working on one of the hottest day of the year and I smelled a weird odor. Not sure if the odor was from leaking free-on or something else. So I took the car to a local PepBoys.. who diagnosed the issue and did a electrical check an confirmed it was the A/C Compressor and wanted $1400 to fix it. First, should I go by their evaluation.. if Yes, what is the process for removing/replacing the A/C Compressor? Do I have to or should I discharge the system first? If yes, how? what are the other steps I need to follow? Some folks I talked to said I should replace the accumulator/drier and when I call the dealer for a part.. they said there is no drier on this vehicle, but a drier bag. So I'm all confused and not sure what additional things I need to replace. Any one with tips on how to fix this will be greatly appreciated. Please start with the first thing I should to the last thing I should do. Pics or Videos would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
To be very blunt............... if you have to ask how and what is needed, you shouldn't be doing it. It takes special tools and training.

Take it to an AC shop, not Pep Boys. Perhaps find one that allows you to buy the parts for them to install. Amazon is an excellent source for good parts at good prices.

I do almost all the work on my cars, but not AC anymore. Leave it to the experts.

Here is a link for Hyundai service.............. a free factory service manual............... like I have often paid $100 + for from other brands.

https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Dont recall if Hyundai offer Re-Man compressor for the 2.4L in the NF,, but $1400,,, RUN AWAY FAST !!

I'm not sure I let them put air in my tire

Hyundai Re-Man usually $300 (if applicable to NF),, 2hr labor maybe ($200).

System need R-134 to be recovered, then part change, the evac-recharge

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I did check with the Hyundai Dealer.. they want $354.50 for a remanufactured AC Compressor and another $386 for labor and freeon recharge ($792 with tax). I even checked a local AC repair shop.. and they want $650 with a new compressor + labor + recharge. So I'm going to go with the local AC repair shop.
But should the A/C Compressor go at 73K miles?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts