Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the correct replacement side mirror for my 2010 Sonata Limited. Also bought the bent screwdriver and wrench needed to do it. A video shows that you just remove the inside triangular side-mirror covering using the screwdriver; next remove the screws holding the mirror; next dissengage the plugs and remove cracked mirror unit; next plug in new mirror and position it; screw it in; replace the triangular covering.

Sounds very simple but I'm reluctant to start it without hearing from someone who has tried it on the exact same vehicle.

Has anyone done this before?

The dealer wanted $250 to replace the mirror. It cost $50 new online (painted, entire assembly); $14 tools.

thanks
liz

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've done it recently, exactly how you want to do it is exactly what I did. The replacement mirror is TYC brand and was decent for the cost but not the same as OEM.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Also remember there is a heated mirror vs non heated mirror. Depending on where your neck of the woods is. That comes on with the rear defrost.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
My Sonata is an '06, which is not too different from your '10, mirror-wise, and I've re-mirrored successfully. Welcome to the iFixit Team! :grin:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Just pop the black trim off, and remove the 3 screw or nut holding mirror, un-plug mirror first though.. swap mirror, assemble in reverse order.. I'll give you 4 minutes to change it.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Like others here have said, its dead easy to change the mirrors on these cars.

When I had access to an NF Sonata, the owner (ex) smacked her mirrors pretty good and we had to replace them. As you already know, the mirrors dont fold so when they got hit they were basically toast. Also it was a very cold winter that year so on one of them the whole outer cover cracked open and fell off.

Instead of replacing them with the same mirror, I found that the mirrors from the Korean model car did fold and could be retrofitted to the American model. So I did that...and the next time she smacked them the just folded right in. IIRC they can still be purchased from one of the tuning shops online.

They can be ordered in the correct color as well, unlike the retrofit mirrors that the newer YF Sonata uses.

Just FYI in case you have this issue again.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Also remember there is a heated mirror vs non heated mirror. Depending on where your neck of the woods is. That comes on with the rear defrost.
I believe hers would be heated since she has a Limited.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've done it on my 09 Limited. Such an easy job BUT I broke the triangular trim containing the tweeter speaker when trying to remove it (smaller part hidden when you close the door). I went gently with tools and hands but that thing was so hard to pull out! I glued the broken piece back but then realized that 2 clips had also broken in the back (out of 3!) so had to use a bit of glue to make it hold in original position. I expected the trim to be much easier to remove... maybe it was stuck on my car? The mirror itself is just too easy to swap. Mine is after market and generates some wind noise on highway compared to OEM which was silent.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I replaced my passenger side mirror a few months ago, on my 08 Sonata. Steps to do so were same as what you listed. Pretty straightforward job, the hardest part was not breaking the trim cover holding the speaker. I also spent a few minutes trying to get the wires to fit well behind the trim cover. Overall change time was about 10 mins.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I replaced my passenger side mirror a few months ago, on my 08 Sonata. Steps to do so were same as what you listed. Pretty straightforward job, the hardest part was not breaking the trim cover holding the speaker. I also spent a few minutes trying to get the wires to fit well behind the trim cover. Overall change time was about 10 mins.
Yes! I forgot about the wire connector being such a PITA to position... trick I found when I took the triangle trim off again this week to remove my door panel: instead of trying to put the connector back in the trim like we find it at first, stick it in the mirror assembly instead before putting the triangle trim back. It fits and holds snuggly if you stick it at the bottom behind the little "ledge" :) Putting the trim back is 10X easier like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts