Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my Elantra has almost 15000 miles on it and one of my tires just had something cut the side wall and destroy it. Do I need to replace more than 1 tire if it’s a different manufacture but same size? Thanks!

·
Registered
315 Posts
It's FWD and 15K miles, so it should be fine. You can ask for them to shave the tread down to match the other tires' depth. I would do both, for the sake of traction control not engaging on cornering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It was my back right, so I think I’ll just purchase 2 new ones and have them put them both up front and then have the 15,000 mile ones in the back.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
With less than 5,000 miles one of my Nexen NPriz tires was damaged. I found a local shop that carried the same tire and just replaced one tire. At your mileage not sure what is appropriate. I asked advice from others familiar with tires and said with my situation a new tire was recommended since it was low mileage.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You should go by the tread depth. The tire shop will be able to check this. Usually if you're within one or two off you might be fine with just one.

If you do need two new, buy a full size steel rim and mount there one good one so you get a full size spare. Most cars can actually got a full size spare in the trunk.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
What brand and size are you tires? 2017 Limited is also has less than 2 Years / first 3/32" of wear road hazard warranty, at 13K miles, my only worn 1/32" and have six months left. Would check with your Hyundai dealer. Would always stick with the same brand and size, unless you want to replace all four.

N Priz AH8 - Size: 225/45R17

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Could be wrong on that road hazard warranty, not if the tire came with the car, but only if you purchase it. Would check with your dealer anyway, happened to my son, least he got an identical tire, same thread pattern size. His dealer also gave me the best price, because this is somewhat of a disaster and he wants my son to come back for his next vehicle purchase.

Not all dealers are this way, try to nail you to the wall and do a much better job of chasing their customers away than serving them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for the reply. It was my back right, so I think I’ll just purchase 2 new ones and have them put them both up front and then have the 15,000 mile ones in the back.
Most tire shops won't put new tires on the front because you will sue them when you hydroplane in the rain.

I'm not a fan of having various tire manufacturer products on my car. I tend to replace all 4 and sell the other 3 on Craigslist to make up some of the difference.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Most tire shops won't put new tires on the front because you will sue them when you hydroplane in the rain.

I'm not a fan of having various tire manufacturer products on my car. I tend to replace all 4 and sell the other 3 on Craigslist to make up some of the difference.
The tire shops I use always referred to the study stating new tires go on the rear like you said. That is not my experience but the standard line always given.

I ran winter tires in the front and all seasons in the back with my last car. It is not recommended, but I did not have a problem. I did look into replacing two tires when I damaged one tire based on that experience. A good tire shop will have their own recommendations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up finding a place in town that had a used one with similar wear. When I got home I messured the height of the tread and the new one is around 1mm less than the others. That little bit shouldn’t affect anything right?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
2017 Limited came with the bottom of the barrel Nixen tires. Was walking past the tire department in my Walmart Store and a Nixen tire caught my eye.

Was the next grade up, two year road hazard warranty, claimed 70,000 thread wear, price was $69.95, and extra $10.00 for mounting and balancing, also included lifetime balancing and rotation. This would be $280.00 plus tax.

Accustomed to laying out $600.00 for four brand new tires, may give these a try. For winter driving, found even the bottom of the barrel Nexen's to be excellent. In the mid 50's, average price for a tire was $40.00, with inflation, that cost today would be $372.00, were rayon and didn't last very long. Unusual to find tires today so cheap. But everything else sure skyrockted.

Ha, when I looking for $50.00 cars, always checked the tires first.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Those new tires on the rear are eventually getting rotated to the front, which presents the same situation. This is inevitable. People buying two tires aren't going to get the other two tires in a reasonable amount of time. That's why they bought two.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's FWD and 15K miles, so it should be fine. You can ask for them to shave the tread down to match the other tires' depth. I would do both, for the sake of traction control not engaging on cornering.
I thought you were joking about the shaving down part! Hehe! Slap it on, man! the car won't know or care about the difference! I use 2 14" Mitsubishi rims with 175/65 14 sized snow tires on the front only on my 15" 185/something Toyota with absolutely no ill effects except the low air light on my dash. They bolt right on and have lots of flesh on them. Way different size, but they work and handle just fine. With these snows, dash says I'm going 60, gps says 56-57 because tire is smaller circumference/height. Measures just over a half inch shorter than the rear, oem size. anti-lock seems to work just fine. Put my regular tires back on, now 60 is 60. I'm sure one tire at that mileage and same size will have zero effect on your car.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Never heard of shaving a tire, learned something.

That 225 in 225/45R17 is in millimeters, has to be converted into inches, or that R17 in inches has to be converted into millimeters, wonder who came up with this? That 45 is actually 0.45 a ratio from the extended radius to its width, multiplying that 225 converted to inches, doubling it and adding that to 17 gives the diameter of the tire.

But the most accurate way to measure it is with a tape measure for the circumference. Should have a 25" diameter and a 78.4" radius. always take a tape measure with me, surprised that different brands always don't comply with this, like they don't know how to measure. Over the years, found some tires a full inch less in diameter.

For one vehicle with a low reading speedometer, calculated the size of the tire I wanted that turned out to be one size larger, had an argument that was the tire I wanted, want to go by the label on the door, but did give in.

On one vehicle, store brand tires blew brand new 2000 miles from home, called the store and told me to go to Firestone for a left rear tire, when I got home, limited slip was toast, that tire was a full one inch less than what it was suppose to be.

For maximum road stability the front to back weight ratio should be 50-50, some of the most dangerous vehicles on the road are muscle cars and pickup trucks running empty. More like even up to a 75-25 front to back, but guys like them because you can really squeal your tires, and with a pickup can scare the heck out of you driving a compact car.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I ended up finding a place in town that had a used one with similar wear. When I got home I messured the height of the tread and the new one is around 1mm less than the others. That little bit shouldn’t affect anything right?
The overall circumference of the tire is more important than the tread depth in this case. I always try to replace in pairs. Last fall, I had to replace two tires on another vehicle, because the left front tire had a blowout. I kept the right front tire, for a rainy day, but I did buy two new tires.

·
Registered
223 Posts
TireRack has some info on tire shaving. Seems to be more of an issue when replacing less than 4 tires on AWD or 4WD vehicles.
https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/cooper/is-tire-shaving-the-right-solution

FWIW- My two front Conti's develop bulges and I had to replace them at ~2300mi (ouch!). Dealer put the 2 new ones on the front, but knows I will be rotating in ~3k more miles (maintenance package).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts