Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for me to cut bait and fish on buying replacement tires for my 08 Limited for the OEM Michelins. At a little over 30K (we bought the car with 22K); there's not much tread left in spite of regular rotations and moderate non-agressive driving on our part and I know the previous owner and he's not a hard driver either. I plan to get it aligned for sure but I sure haven't been impressed with the OEM tires especially noise though I've never been a big Michelin fan. Though I'm very good on maintaining pressures and regularly rotating my tires; I've never gotten good life out of Michelins going back to a 94 Bonneville. Right now the leading candidate I'm looking at is General Altimax HP. My wife drives the Azera mostly and neither of us drive hard so a tire that gives good life, reasonable ride and low noise is what we are looking for. Treadepot has the HP in the 235/55R17 size for $107

I've seen other posts on Kumho tires that I've never owned but I'd be interested in anyone else's thoughts as I'll order online this week and get them mounted, balanced and installed locally and then aligned.

Thanks,

Mike in Alabama

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
3 variables to tire wear....

1 - air pressure

2 - rotation

3 - align

You state regular rotatation, so that leaves air, I suspect you been taking car of that, so that leaves align... do you know where the align numbers are at currently ?

Have somebody straighten out the align, don't buy the it's in specs, that's the biggest crock.

Verify the toe on rear is equal at both side, no more than .08 total, and you stuck with the camber..

Verify front camber near equal, and toe no more than .08 total at front... dont go toe out, car will feel loose.

Ater align, post the numbers so we can see how the shop did for you, if they an "in specs kinda place, or somebody that will "set-up" a car with square align..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to have the correct alignment numbers for my car to take with me when I do get it aligned. Where could I find those?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the HMAService Site (www.hmaservice.com) the shop manual selection gives the following for an 08 Azera.

WHEEL ALIGNMENT

WHEEL ALIGNMENT
Items Front Rear
Toe-in Total 0°±0.2° 0.2°±0.2°
Individual 0°±0.1° 0.1°±0.1°
Camber 0°±0.5° -0.5°±0.5°
Caster 4.83°±1° -
King pin 9.45° -
-

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Mike, I couldn't agree with you more about tire noise and wear from the OEM Michelins. I changed mine on my 08 at 31K due to cupping which created the noise. Bought the car with 5K on it and made the big mistake of not getting it aligned before I made a 5K trip and ended up with the cups. I bought General Altimax HP from Treadpot. So far the tires have been very quiet and at first I thought I was driving a different car, it was so peaceful and didn't have to turn radio full blast to hear it. Right now Treadpot has some great deals and I think free shipping. I had my tires mounted and balanced and aligned by my local Hyundai dealer. This way if they wear bad I can blame it on them and their alignment etc. Hyundai dealer recommends Hankook as a good replacement for the Michelins. Michelins might be a good tire on some cars but they don't seem to wear well on the Azeras. I've discussed the wear problems with the Hyundai regional rep and he agrees that the Michelins have created alot of headaches for alot of owners and he does not recommend replacing Michelins with Michelins.

The Hyundai service web site also lists TSB's on the alignment figures. I even took my information to the Hyundai dealer and made sure I got a before read out and a after alignment readout so you can see where your problems were, if any.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Is the Hyundai site you speak of with the TSB's on the alignment numbers the www.hmaservice.com site or a different site. That's where I got the numbers above. I'll check with my local Hyundai dealer but out of curiosity; what did your local Hyundai dealer charge you for mounting and balancing and alignment? Does the Azera get a 2 wheel or 4 wheel alingment?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Azera is 4 wheel align.

·
Registered
119 Posts
QUOTE (opelikamike @ May 19 2010, 08:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324263
Thanks. Is the Hyundai site you speak of with the TSB's on the alignment numbers the www.hmaservice.com site or a different site. That's where I got the numbers above. I'll check with my local Hyundai dealer but out of curiosity; what did your local Hyundai dealer charge you for mounting and balancing and alignment? Does the Azera get a 2 wheel or 4 wheel alingment?
Mike, This is everything, Altimax HP's from Treadpot Total price with shipping $437. Dealer install, balance and alignment costs $ 141. TSB's are on the hmaservice web site and you can check the 2009 and 2010 and the numbers are the same. The Azera is four wheel alignment. Also, make sure your car had the passenger seat belt tension sensor wiring check. This was a recall early this year.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think I will be with the Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity, granted not the cheapest tire but from Tirerack reviews the handling and especially the noise is very good. I rotate and balance the tires about every 5k miles, just had my second alignment at 20k miles, all by dealer, I track and keep the tire pressure at about 32 psi, these are original Michelins, with only 23k miles on them and the treadware is even across, yet they will need to be replaced within the next 5k miles. The Michelins are hard tires and noisy in my opinion.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I think I'm going with the Altimax HP's. I called my Hyundai dealer and he will sell the tires at about $1 less than online and I pay no shipping. M&B and a 4 wheel alignment will be $113 so out the door will be about $560. Hopefully these will be an improvement over the OEM's.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In talking with a tech at my local dealer, he said they came up with their own alignment specs. They don't use the factory recs, as they didn't have it right.

He said the tire noise was a common complaint and that there was no real position on what I'd call a "loose" front end.

I'll be looking for new tires real soon. And I'll let them do their thing on the alignment.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the Altimax's installed at local Hyundai dealer. They are quieter for sure on my Azera.

Final alignment nos. of printout are

LF
-.1 deg Camber
0.0 Toe

RF
-.1 degree Camber
0.01 Toe

Total toe 0.00
Steer ahead -.01

LR
-.8 Camber
.07 Toe

RR
-.8 Camber
.01 Toe

Total Toe .08

·
Registered
11 Posts
2009 Azera Limited - At 28K replaced the Michelins (badly cupped, wouldn't balance) with Hankook Optimo H727 tires.

I had the dealer rotate tires every 5K since new and finally had an alignment done by the dealer at 20K simply because I didn't like the handling - way out on all 4 wheels. Should have had them checked on first rotation. At 25K I asked for the rotation and this time re-balance the tires. Said tires couldn't be balanced - too much cupping. Advised replacement.

Went to a local Hankook dealer for the tires. Much smoother and quieter, and I notice the steering is much more satisfactory - seems to want to go around turns and keep its grip when I turn the wheel as opposed to the feeling with the Michelins that I was going to break free at any minute. What's more, am running the tires at 40psi - that's where the profile on the road looks the best. Am thoroughly satisfied with the new Hankooks so far.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts