Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else but a search didn’t turn up good info. I have a 2018 Elantra Value Edition with the 7” non-nav head unit. I want to replace the speakers with upgrades and have some questions:

- I’ll keep the stock head unit and its integrated amp. What “Max RMS Power” does it put out so I can choose the correct speakers to not under or over power them? I don’t want to get 200W speakers if the head unit only puts out 10W.

- Impedence of 4 seems the most popular. Will this work with the stock head unit?

- For the frequency response, I’d of course like good bass coverage. Is there a low limit that the head unit will output? I’m seeing speakers that go down as low as 18k Hz and as high as 25k Hz; if the head unit can’t get down to much lower than 20 then it seems better to get speakers it can run efficiently.

- I’m planning to replace both speakers in the front doors (bottom and tweeter). Does the head unit really have a crossover, sending highs to the tweeters and mid/low to the bottom? Or are those tweeters just mostly for show, and the bottom speakers running full range? Most component speaker systems come with either an external or integrated crossover; I’ll use it if the head unit is sending the complete signal to the bottom speakers but I’ll not use it if the head unit is actually sending highs to the tweeters.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Guys,

I own a Hyundai Eon GLS with a 2DiN head unit as stock. Does anyone know it's wattage? My 5inch rear speakers say 15w nom and 25w max and it bottoms out at volume 20 with loudness set to only 7! The unit's volume goes all the way to 40 and im about to replace just the speakers thinking 20w nom max 50w would do. My goal is to hit that 40 and set loudness to 10.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Check out this thread on the Elantra forum. It is what got me to replace my factory speakers with Infinity speakers. It made a nice difference in the sound for minimal cost. And everytime I'm in the car, I am so glad I replaced the factory speakers.

My audio adventure! Come along with me!
Aaron, long time no see!

I’ll keep the stock head unit and its integrated amp. What “Max RMS Power” does it put out so I can choose the correct speakers to not under or over power them? I don’t want to get 200W speakers if the head unit only puts out 10W. Consensus seems to be around 10W. I looked all over the internet and cannot find the factory HU power rating.

- Impedence of 4 seems the most popular. Will this work with the stock head unit? The impedance is 4 for the standard HU and 2 for the Infinity premium unit in the Limited model.

- For the frequency response, I’d of course like good bass coverage. Is there a low limit that the head unit will output? I’m seeing speakers that go down as low as 18k Hz and as high as 25k Hz; if the head unit can’t get down to much lower than 20 then it seems better to get speakers it can run efficiently. I think you mean 18 Hz not 18k Hz. You are not going to get good bass coverage just replacing the door speakers without a sub. If I had to guess the low end is 100-120 Hz. You also have bass roll off to contend with. Don't sweat the low end of the FR, 20 Hz or 50 Hz will not make a difference.

I’m planning to replace both speakers in the front doors (bottom and tweeter). Does the head unit really have a crossover, sending highs to the tweeters and mid/low to the bottom? Or are those tweeters just mostly for show, and the bottom speakers running full range? Most component speaker systems come with either an external or integrated crossover; I’ll use it if the head unit is sending the complete signal to the bottom speakers but I’ll not use it if the head unit is actually sending highs to the tweeters. Consensus is that the front door speakers are getting full range and the stock tweeters have a resister or such to squelch the lower end. There are pictures in the thread Aaron mentioned that I posted and I did not see a crossover unless it is located behind the door panel. I just replaced the lower speakers and left the stock tweeter in place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts