Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased my 2012 Sonata GLS from a dealer with only one set of keys. (Ignition key and fob). The key fob I have is the remote start keyfob. I needed another set of keys for my girlfriend, so I got a new key and a new fob made and programmed. However, the new keyfob from the locksmith does not look like the remote start fob and does not have that option. Instead, it is the standard hyundai keyfob that just has lock, unlock, trunk ajar and panic. My problem is whenever she tries to unlock the car with her fob whenever the car was previously locked with my reote start key fob, the alarm goes off when she opens the door. ANNOYING! But, if she locks the car with her fob and I unlock it with mine, the alarm does not sound. If she ever needs to get into my car at work the alarm will go off and cause a huge scene before she can disarm it. How can I get the alarm to not go off when she unlocks the car?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
So I purchased my 2012 Sonata GLS from a dealer with only one set of keys. (Ignition key and fob). The key fob I have is the remote start keyfob. I needed another set of keys for my girlfriend, so I got a new key and a new fob made and programmed. However, the new keyfob from the locksmith does not look like the remote start fob and does not have that option. Instead, it is the standard hyundai keyfob that just has lock, unlock, trunk ajar and panic. My problem is whenever she tries to unlock the car with her fob whenever the car was previously locked with my reote start key fob, the alarm goes off when she opens the door. ANNOYING! But, if she locks the car with her fob and I unlock it with mine, the alarm does not sound. If she ever needs to get into my car at work the alarm will go off and cause a huge scene before she can disarm it. How can I get the alarm to not go off when she unlocks the car?
At this point you need to remedy this with the locksmith. You should have gone to the after-market manufacturer of the remote-starter and gotten another. Mine is after market and I just got an extra key and have yet to get to an Avital dealer for the remote.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
That is a OEM hyundai factory remote start key fob, which was an addon option during the time of purchase. The one received by the locksmith is the standard remote thats mainly for key less entry and came with the car from the factory (stock key less entry). Good aftermarket alarm/remote start systems have a feature that allow the "brain" of the remote start/alarm system to monitor factory alarm, so if you unlock with the original remote (the one you received from the lock smith) the "brain" would pick up that you unlocked the doors and disable the alarm system. The remote start system you have does not have this feature.

Get a refund from the locksmith

Call a hyundai dealer, ask them if they can order just the remote and ask how much to program the remote to your car. if its reasonable then go with them.

I looked on ebay and did not see anyone selling just the remote. I couldn't find the installer manual either for the product so I cant tell you exactly how to program the new fob even if you were to just buy it.

You can google search the part #'s on the back of the remote you need to see if you can locate it.

I did a little searching on the forums and found this link

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/cm-2007-2012-santa-fe/533953-2010-remote-start-fob.html

Give it a read. It has programming instructions but IDK if it will work for your application even if you can just find a place to buy a separate replacement remote.

last option if you really want to go through the process.... Just buy a new remote start unit. find the one in the car and just swap the "brain" over as it comes with two new remote already programmed..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Remote...ash=item487aa76e89:g:dvcAAOSwSzRZSzEa&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've been out of this industry for nearly 8 years and things change but....

These so-called "Factory OEM addons" were made by CodeAlarm and they were available only to authorized dealers. Today I think anyone can order them.

Search CodeAalarm and see if they're still around

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thank you all! I will look into this. Came from Jeep XJ as a daily of 4 years. Just bought this in January 2018 and learning the platform. So different than the old jeeps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts