Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am new to the forum, and this is my first post. We just bought a 17 Elantra SE with an actual key and separate remote to unlock/lock the doors. Its kin of annoying to have the 2 separate pieces to unlock and then start the car. My question is this: I have see the key and Fob combo for the Elantra, the one that have the button and the key flips out. Is this legit, and can we get one and have it programmed to work so that we only have the one piece instead of 2?

·
Registered
313 Posts
There are quite a few available on eBay:

My 2017 came with a couple of FOBs; in mine the key is stored in the FOB and only needed as a backup; see this eBay item:

I haven't needed to explore how they are programmed. You might want to ask your local dealer about it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hey everyone, I am new to the forum, and this is my first post. We just bought a 17 Elantra SE with an actual key and separate remote to unlock/lock the doors. Its kin of annoying to have the 2 separate pieces to unlock and then start the car. My question is this: I have see the key and Fob combo for the Elantra, the one that have the button and the key flips out. Is this legit, and can we get one and have it programmed to work so that we only have the one piece instead of 2?
I don't think there is a spring-loaded key that would physically fit the Elantra. Other Hyundai vehicles that take a physical key, with the spring-loaded metal part are a different type of metal key. My daughter's Tucson has one of these. It is a side-cut key--basically a metal rectangle with a channel cut through the middle of it. If you've ever seen a Lexus key, it is very similar.
The Elantra's doors and ignition take a conventionally cut key, with the edges cut.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Use to be nothing but keys, the kind with teeth, could go to a hardware store and have a new one made for a quarter. Then around the late 80's remotes came out that would only lock or unlock the doors and maybe the trunk.

The newest keys have that slot with the teeth laser cut on the inside, maybe easier to find a locksmith now, but around ten years ago, that laser cutting equipment sold for around $12,000.00, quite an investment for one to make to try to get their money back.

That slot can also get gummed up wrecking the lock.

Latest is keyless entry and start, only the driver's door has a key slot, not the passenger nor the trunk, 2017 Elantra Limited is this way has the key plugged inside the remote. I put ours in a zip lock bag secured with rubber bands around it yo make it water proof. And for the last three years stays in my pocket or wife's purse. Just have to be near the car to unlock the doors pushing the button on the door handle either driver's or passenger side. Trunk will open just by standing near it.

Great, no locking steering wheel, these never prevented anyone stealing your vehicle and if you parked diagonally where a tire hit a curb you will never unlock that steering wheel. Had to call a tow truck to drag your locked wheels on the pavement to unlock that wheel.

Anti-thief has a long history preventing the rightful owner of starting your vehicle rather than keeping someone from stealing your vehicle. Major reason is for the parts that became over 10 times higher in price in the last 30 years. Flatbed trucks work just fine for stealing your worthwhile vehicle.

To get a new remote, your best bet is your Hyundai dealer, some are nice, others will screw you to death for the keyless type. Goes by the VIN. For just door unlockers, many different means could be used to program a new remote. We had a 98 ford, had to open and close the driver's door ten times to program it. Every vehicle is different.

Kids are gone, no more used up crap, if they wanted to sell a used vehicle wanted two set of keys, no two sets of keys, refused to buy. Who knows who has that extra set of keys, a thief?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts