Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Looking for advice. I’ve put 7000ish miles on a new engine that Hyundai replaced under warranty. 2 oil changes in. Friday I had the oil changed and transmission serviced since it was due to be done. Saturday night I met some friends for dinner and was there for about 3 hours. I started my car and it knocked for a few seconds. Drove home fine without any issues. This morning I went to start it to see if it would knock again and video taped it. No knock this time, but I had the hood opened and there was some smoking coming from the rear of the engine. My brother thinks they just spilled oil and that the knocking isn’t a big deal for a few seconds, but knowing the history of this engine issue with Hyundai I do not want stranded again!

1) is this worth having the dealership look at? I’m thinking of just showing up and basically demand they look at it tomorrow. I’ll have to take time off of work.
2) does the second engine have a warranty on it? If so what is it? I know there was a recent lawsuit settlement in October 2019 that gave owners lifetime unlimited mileage warranties, but does that only apply to the original engine or subsequent engines as well?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys,

Looking for advice. I’ve put 7000ish miles on a new engine that Hyundai replaced under warranty. 2 oil changes in. Friday I had the oil changed and transmission serviced since it was due to be done. Saturday night I met some friends for dinner and was there for about 3 hours. I started my car and it knocked for a few seconds. Drove home fine without any issues. This morning I went to start it to see if it would knock again and video taped it. No knock this time, but I had the hood opened and there was some smoking coming from the rear of the engine. My brother thinks they just spilled oil and that the knocking isn’t a big deal for a few seconds, but knowing the history of this engine issue with Hyundai I do not want stranded again!

1) is this worth having the dealership look at? I’m thinking of just showing up and basically demand they look at it tomorrow. I’ll have to take time off of work.
2) does the second engine have a warranty on it? If so what is it? I know there was a recent lawsuit settlement in October 2019 that gave owners lifetime unlimited mileage warranties, but does that only apply to the original engine or subsequent engines as well?
I also wondered if the new engine had a warranty. I meant to ask and forgot. I may be going by the dealership this week I’ll see if I can get an answer. Let us know if you find out anything as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made an appointment for Tuesday. Hopefully they can figure it out.

I also wondered if the new engine had a warranty. I meant to ask and forgot. I may be going by the dealership this week I’ll see if I can get an answer. Let us know if you find out anything as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Start up knock.... low oil level or junk oil filter
Who serviced it and what oil filter was used and what oil grade/brand/type was used?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  1. Start up knock.... low oil level or junk oil filter
    Who serviced it and what oil filter was used and what oil grade/brand/type was used?
    Hyundai dealership, Hyundai Filter, 5w20 Semi Synthetic Quaker State, oil level was good bc I made a point to check it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi i am from canada so it may be different in the USA. I also had my engine replaced last year and i still notice the knocking but it's not as bad. I also asked the dealership if they have extended coverage got the engine but they said they don't cover it after the warranty ends....which i feel is wrong in so many ways.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update. Took it the dealer that did the engine replacement. Can’t replicate the knocking. However the smoking is from the oil change the other dealership did - whatever tech I got this time spilled a ton of oil all over the place down below where I couldn’t see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update. Took it the dealer that did the engine replacement. Can’t replicate the knocking. However the smoking is from the oil change the other dealership did - whatever tech I got this time spilled a ton of oil all over the place down below where I couldn’t see.
Is there a warranty?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Dealer that replaced the engine took a look at it. I figured it was worth the drive to have one of them look at it since they did the work. They said the smoking is oil that was spilled by the dealership that did the oil change. It was very sloppy they said. Other than that they said they did not see anything wrong with it and without a check engine light or a noise they couldn't diagnose it.

Further update: I was driving today and there is no odd engine noise, but I lost a lot of power and my check engine light began flashing. It is now at the dealer close to home being diagnosed. Maybe another new engine... :cautious::(

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Further update: I was driving today and there is no odd engine noise, but I lost a lot of power and my check engine light began flashing. It is now at the dealer close to home being diagnosed. Maybe another new engine... :cautious::(
:cry:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you happen to have a OBD2 reader that you can use to see what the code is?
Nah. I took it straight to the dealership. They can figure it out. I heard the chime and the flashing started. It was crappy going up hills but went okay on flat roads. I imagine it’s the knock detection software going on...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it was a knock sensor code. Hyundai told the dealership they have a new ECM update. The old one made the knock sensor too sensitive. They updated it and also tested the engine bearings. Everything is good now.

Do you happen to have a OBD2 reader that you can use to see what the code is?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts