Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father has a 2007 Santa Fe. Over the weekend they came down and we went to go get some pizza and I notice how HORRIBLE his lighting was. It was so bad I thought they were DRLs only, not main beams on. He said he had just replaced them with Silverstars. I was aghast at how bad the lighting was.

So, we get home and I have him pull up to my white garage doors at about 25-30 feet. I first clean the outside of the lense because its cloudy. Its a "smidge" bit better but not really. So we take turns alternating standing in front of the drivers beam and passenger beam and I notice a huge issue. It seems that there are "cut outs" in the beam pattern. Almost like if you installed an aftermarket HID kit with the return wire in the wrong position.

Its so bad that with the passenger light covered, there is a large 'V' shaped cut out missing right in the middle of the beam pattern on the driver side. On the passenger side there is a large rectangle at the top that is missing. The driver side by far distributes less light than the passenger side. It looks like the bulbs are "mis-installed", but I am unsure how one could do that?

Questions:
1) I have read in other threads that Silverstar does not have a direct replacement for the H7? Those posts were dated Aug/Sept last year. EDIT: Checking online shows H7 is the bulb "size".
2) If you have replaced your headlights, can you mess up the "clocking" of the bulb? I am used to having tabs on the base that keep a bulb from being installed incorrectly.
3) Anybody else have poor output of aftermarket bulbs in the stock Hyundai lighting cabinet?

Any comments or direction would be appreciated as they live a couple hours from me and working in the dark isn't a good solution! :grin:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Oct 18 2010, 10:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364216
Questions:
2) If you have replaced your headlights, can you mess up the "clocking" of the bulb? I am used to having tabs on the base that keep a bulb from being installed incorrectly.
EVERYDAY!! I get customers who come in and state they need their headlights aimed... wont tell you it started after they replaced the bulb themself... I charge 0.3 hr per lamp, it is a whole lot easier to remove the 3 bolts that hold lamp to body, set it on table, and service the bulb out in open where you can see what is going on, and install it correctly the first time... kills me how somebody would fight the install with the lamp in the car..

Any comments or direction would be appreciated as they live a couple hours from me and working in the dark isn't a good solution!
See comment above, and pics below of proper install of H7 to it' socket in the lamp housing... :grin:

Pics :
These is all H7 bulb --

1 -- Incorrect install

2 -- correct install

3 -- correct install

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just replaced the stock H7 High Beams in my 2010 Sport, with Nighthawk Platinums. The difference is quite noticeable (I do a lot of night driving). I would also replace the lows, however that bulb is an H11b bulb. Hard to find those of any breed or species.
I was able to remove all bulbs without removing the headlight unit from the grill. Looks like the only ones I would have to do that for, would be the side markers.

Looking at the bulb sockets from the back, clearly shows the alignment notch.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Just remember to keep a spare bulb around with "high performance" headlight bulbs. They tend to die after 3 - 8 months. I put some "Nighthawks" in my son's Subaru (DRL) and they didn't last 6 months ! I had other bad experiences with other "quality" high performance bulbs in a few car makes.
The direct reply from Silverstar was "they are high performance and have a limited lifespan."

I even tried some U.K. bulbs, one lasted 4 month, the other 5 months. (Veracruz, no DRL)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.